www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - What about a cheap Blend? (heresy?)

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
What about a cheap Blend? (heresy?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: What about a cheap Blend? (heresy?) Reply with quote

Let's say around 15 pounds. For instance, White Horse has been my favourite for many years.
Since I read this Forum I started to look for new options, learned some topics, advanced more into single malts, and therefore I would like to find some new options to my well known White Horse.
I've also already tasted Famous Grouse in my search, and enjoyed it.

For some reason I haven't been able to find any serious taste notes about blend whiskies: the ones I've read seemed more "marketing" than tasting.

I enjoy floral and fruity smells and flavours in whiskies. Smooth, mellow, honey, tastes; not very spicy neither very strong. Peat and smoke doesn't attract me very much.

What do you suggest? anything different and interesting to find?

Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin

The White Horse 12 year old is very good if you havent tried it. Other blends which i enjoy are Teachers, BNJ (Bailie Nicol Jarvie which is a great blend produced by Glenmorangie) and Famous Grouse Gold Reserve all of which you can pick up for around £15 here in the UK. I also like Johnnie Walker Black Label which costs a little more but a very nice blend.

I recommend getting yourself a copy of the "Whisky Bible" written by Jim Murray. It has tasting notes for around 4000 whiskies including blends and every whisky is also rated with a score out of 100. A great book and only around £7 or £8 to buy i think.

Andy
Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont often have a blended whisky anymore but if i do it tends to be a premium blend. The Teachers and BNJ Andy mentions are very good but they do have a touch of smoke so they may not suit your taste. The White Horse and JW Black Label and Famous Grouse Gold Reserve I think you would like very much. I also like William Grants Family Reserve and i think it should also suit your taste.

Mark.
islayonspey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Blended Section. Reply with quote

John, William,
I feel that these 3 post should be under " Blended Whiskies" ??? Rene
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: You're are right, Mr. Rene: Where is it, please? Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Rene: You are right, but I haven't been able to find a "Blended Whiskies" area in the Forum. I would be very interested in reading its topics.
Please feel free to move all this three comments to that area, to reorder de Forum.
Would you mind indicating me the link, please. Regards, Martin.
pd: Your suggestion about a blended for me would be very appreciated.
islayonspey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: You're are right, Mr. Rene: Where is it, please? Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
Dear Mr. Rene: You are right, but I haven't been able to find a "Blended Whiskies" area in the Forum. I would be very interested in reading its topics.
Please feel free to move all this three comments to that area, to reorder de Forum.
Would you mind indicating me the link, please. Regards, Martin.
pd: Your suggestion about a blended for me would be very appreciated.

Hi Martin,
I was asking the Moderators, John & William to look into that possibility.
Rene

William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rene & Martin

I was never too sure if the demand was there for a Blended Whisky Forum, anyway i have just added a new forum for Blended Whisky.

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=32

William
Big Mac
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin, a cheap blend which i have always liked is William Grants Family Reserve but to be honest IMO there are only a few blends which are in the same league as single malts, the obvious one being Johnnie Walker Black Label which should not be much more £15

Mac
DukeofSandwich

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Horse 12 is one of the best inexpensive blends I've tried, can't taste the grain at all. But for the price, why not get a vatted malt like Hogshead?
Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO Black Bottle is the best blended whisky you can get if you like smoky whisky and great value, usually priced around £12 sometimes under £10 when on offer. But if like Martin you do not like the smoky whiskies it is definitely not not one for you

Bookie
Vcdman
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure of UK pricing but Chivas Brothers is a good blend for its price, although there is a bit of smoke.

Famous Grouse as you mentioned is certainly fine too.

I cant remember the name, and im not sure if Aldi super markets are in UK (they are in AUS and Europe) but there AUD$23.00 whisky is very good for its price.
Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we do have Aldi here in the UK, i assume it is the same chain of stores you have in Aus, it is a German owned discount supermarket.

They had a own label 18 year old single malt recently for £17 recently which was a very nice dram for the money, not sure what was actually in in the bottle though, some light bodied Speyside whisky i thought.

Aldi in the UK does get a few different whiskies in every so often, so i always pop into the store and have a look every once and a while so see what they have.

I would have had an odd bottle of Chivas Regal when i was quite new to the world of whisky but i dont ever really pick up a bottle of it anymore. A good dram if you get a good offer on it.

Bookie

Finlay
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Mac wrote:
Hi Martin, a cheap blend which i have always liked is William Grants Family Reserve but to be honest IMO there are only a few blends which are in the same league as single malts, the obvious one being Johnnie Walker Black Label which should not be much more £15

Mac
I see the Grant's Family Reserve Blended Scotch whisky has scooped gold at the 2009 International Wine and Spirit Competition (IWSC). Well deserved as i have always considered it to be one of the best blends in its price range.

Finlay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: