Open To Visitors:
A loch by the Mishnish Lochs
Burn Stewart Distillers
Yes by appointment
+44 (0)1688 302645
(Call for visiting hours)
Ledaig malt whisky is produced at the
Tobermory distillery, the only
distillery on the island of mull.
The distillery was founded in 1798
by John Sinclair.
In those days it was called Ledaig.
The distillery was closed between 1837 and 1878.
In 1890 it was sold to John Hopkins & Co. who where acquired by the Distillers Company Ltd in 1916.
The distillery closed again in 1928 and
didn't reopen until 1972 under the name
Ledaig. However in 1975 the receivers
where called in and the distillery was
mothballed once again. In 1990 the
distillery resumed production under the
name Tobermory. In 1993 the distillery
was taken over by Burn Stewart whose
other distilleries include Bunnahabhain
Today Tobermory distillery switches
between producing two different single
malts. The first one, a lightly peated
malt called Tobermory and the other, an
extremely peaty malt called Ledaig. The
majority of the malt produced at
Tobermory is either used in Burn Stewart
blends such as Scottish Leader and Black
Prince or is sold to other blenders.
Also see Tobermory Whisky
for more info on the Tobermory
whisky produced at the distillery.
Ledaig Tasting Notes
Single Malt. Colour:
Light gold. Nose:
Lovely, fresh aromas of honey, cereal,
peat and hay. Taste:
Medium to full-bodied. Distinctive
peaty, smoky taste with gorgeous floral