The Glencadam distillery was founded in 1825 near the royal burgh
of Brechin by George Copper. Two years
later it was sold to David Scott. In
1895, the distillery was taken over by
the Glasgow blenders Gilmour Thomson and
Co. Ltd. During the early 1900's
Glencadam malt was a main component of
the Gilmour Thomson's Royal blend, one
of the favourite whiskies of King Edward
In 1954 the distillery
was taken over by
Hiram Walker & Son
who use the whisky in their blends.
Hiram Walker thoroughly reconstructed the
distillery in 1959. Hiram Walker then
became part of Allied Lyons in 1987. The
latter merged with Pedro Domecq in 1994
to become Allied Domecq Limited. Allied
Distillers mothballed the distillery in
2000 due to over-production. In May
2003, the distillery was bought and
reopened by Angus Dundee Distillers.
Almost all the production is used in the
Ballantine's blends: Ballantine and
Stewart's Cream of the Barley Blends.
Glencadam Tasting Notes
15 Year Old Single Malt. Colour:
Citrus fruits mixed with floral hints
and a slight touch of smoke. Taste:
Fruity. Honey and acid hints, slight
liquorice hint and a touch of smoke. Finish:
Pleasant long finish.