www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - USQUAEBACH

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
USQUAEBACH

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nachtaluci

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: USQUAEBACH Reply with quote

I just found 6 bottles of this blended scotch whiskey in the basement of my family gourmet shoppe (along with other bottles). They are in a Red velvet box and the stone flagon (750 ml) inside the box. There are no dates but my guess is this is pretty old. Looks to be in fine condition....on the outside. Does anyone now if this is:
1. Good whisky
2. Worth anything-$$
3. What Cigars it may go well with and how to properly drink?

THANKS,

Marc

Carson
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Usquaebach"? (Oos: Ke: Bah) was derived from the ancient Gaelic phrase, "uisge beatha"? meaning water of life, from which the word "whisky"? is derived. Usquaebach, once reserved only for royalty, aristocrats, and notables, was first introduced in the United States at the 1969 presidential inauguration.

The origin of Usquaebach traces back to the early 16th century, during the reign of Mary Queen of Scots. Robert Burns immortalized it in his poem, Tam O'Shanter, with the line "Wi Usquaebae, we'll face the de'il (devil)"?. Usquaebach's written tradition, however, has been traced back (Christie's - London) to March 28, 1768

Usquaebach has gone through several incarnations since it was first created in 1768. From 1768 to 1842 it was single malt. Between 1842 and 1904 it became a vatted Scotch whisky (a blend of single malts, often from different years from the same distiller, but never any grain whisky). Then, in 1904, it became a "malt-rich' blend, where 85% of the blend was malt whisky and 15% was grain whisky. An American company, 12 Stone Flagons bought the distillery in 1973. Starting in the 1980s they began to release a line of aged Highland Single Malt whiskies to broaden their product base. Though it may be a "changeling', the Original is still and always has been the company's flagship.

Cobalt Brands now owns it and it is back in production. It is currently available in the United States, currently distributed in the NY/NJ area

There are now three products available:
Usquaebach Reserve Blended Scotch Whisky
Usquaebach 15 Year Old Pure Highland Malt Scotch Whisky
Usquaebach Stone Flagon Blended Scotch Whisky

Whether it is any good or not i havent tried it as it is only available in the US but i believe it is supposed to be a good whisky. If you do a search on google you may find a value for it. To drink i would take it straight (no ice it dulls the flavour) perhaps add a little water to reduce the alcohol level if it is high.

Carson
nachtaluci

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Scotch/Whisky Reply with quote

Carson-WOW Great info and history. Very much Appreciated. I will let you know how it taste once I uncork it. I am thinking that these may be from 1969. My grandfather was well connected with actors and politicians alike here in the Boston area. I also found some other bottles let me know if you have some interest in knowing about them.
Best,
Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: