www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Whisky Live Glasgow 2009

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Whisky Live Glasgow 2009
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Whisky Live Glasgow 2009 Reply with quote

Whisky Live Glasgow 2009 will take place a little earlier this year on Saturday 12th September at the more central location of The Thistle Hotel in Cambridge Street Glasgow.

Whisky Live Glasgow, comes back to Glasgow in 2009 with a new date and a new venue. Bringing all the best whiskies of the world together in one place, with expert advice, Masterclasses, live entertainment and food, Whisky Live Glasgow is an unforgettable day out.

After many requests for a more central venue the organisers have found a location with room to house all the whiskies and all the visitors. The Thistle Hotel in Cambridge Street (just off Sauchiehall Street) is just 2 minutes from Queen Street station, and within the heart of the bustling city.

And not only do we have a new venue, but also a new date, Saturday 12th September and the whole show runs over one day rather than two with two sessions, one from 12 to 4 and the second from 5 to 9. And in 2009 Whisky Live Glasgow is the grand finale of Whisky Week, a week long celebration throughout Scotland (find out more about Whisky Week), with the Glasgow Whisky Week dinner on Friday 11th September, the eve of Whisky Live Glasgow.

To help you enjoy the enticing whisky delights on offer we have two sessions during the day, both lasting 4 hours. Your ticket entitles you to entry as well as sample vouchers, complimentary food, your tasting glass and show guide.

Whisky Live Glasgow will be held in the Grand Ballroom, Scotland's largest ballroom, providing a luxurious and impressive venue for the greatest whisky experience of the year. The Thistle Hotel is conveniently situated in the heart of Glasgow's shopping, entertainment and business centre, and with 300 guest bedrooms makes the show even more convenient for visitors who want to stay over.

Tastings

Whisky Live gives you the unique opportunity to sample the great whiskies, whilst mingling with the producers, independent bottlers and brand ambassadors all under one roof. In addition to learning about the world of whisky, visitors have the opportunity to sample rare and sought after whiskies and meet the stars of the industry.
Experiences

The Whisky Experiences are the education and entertainment zones, providing extra sensory experiences. They seek to educate and entertain those that want to learn a little more about the diversity of Scotland's greatest export.

The food and whisky combinations are the way to enjoy one leading whisky matched with cheese, chocolate or smoked meat.
Other features

Whisky Live stage: live distiller debates, entertainment, blending competitions, Scotland's cocktail champions and much more bring the Whisky Live stage to life throughout the day.

Beer Experience: sample a selection of Scotland's greatest beers. After all, they're still made from malt, why not cross the flavour divide.

Coopering: a highly skilled cooper will break and make a cask throughout the show.

PLUS - you can buy your favourite whiskies direct at the show.

And why not plan a longer visit to the great whisky regions of Scotland, explore the distilleries within easy reach of Glasgow or take a longer trip to the Highlands and islands by taking part with some of the other Whisky Week events.

Tickets are £22 for afternoon and £22 for evening session. Masterclass tickets are not available until August and are £13

For more info and tickets visit http://www.whiskylive.com/scotland/glasgow-2009/

William

McKay
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The change of venue to a more handy city centre location is very good news and having it in a hotel where you can stay overnight is even better news.

McKay
Crane
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the change of venue is good news and i also like the earlier date for the event.

Crane
Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is good news about the change in venue but what puts me off about this event is the voucher system. I agree some kind of voucher system is needed to cover costs and have some control over indulgence but you pay £22 for a ticket giving you 8 vouchers but if you taste any whisky which is 18 year plus you have to hand over 3 vouchers. As i have probably already bought and payed for many of the under 18 year old whiskies that i have wanted to try these are not what i wish to try at one of these events. I like to try the 18 plus whiskies but with this voucher system i would only get to try 2x18 plus whiskies and 2 younger whiskies. Is this worth travel costs and the £22 price tag, i dont think so, better off staying home and buying a full bottle of 18 year old of my choice.

Charlie
Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Charlie i think it should be 1 voucher per whisky tasted, i dont think i would travel far just to taste 2 or 3 samples for £22.

A lot of people may not know how the voucher system works until they get to the event and they may not be to impressed with it.

Anyway as someone mentioned in another post there are a lot of good events around such as The Whisky Fringe in Edinburgh, Spirit of Speyside Whisky Festival (twice a year) and Whisky An' A' That in Ayr, all great events and IMO nicer locations if you are travelling and considering a visit a whisky event as part of a short break.

Alastair
islayonspey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: cheaper on Speyside Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
Yes it is good news about the change in venue but what puts me off about this event is the voucher system. I agree some kind of voucher system is needed to cover costs and have some control over indulgence but you pay £22 for a ticket giving you 8 vouchers but if you taste any whisky which is 18 year plus you have to hand over 3 vouchers. As i have probably already bought and payed for many of the under 18 year old whiskies that i have wanted to try these are not what i wish to try at one of these events. I like to try the 18 plus whiskies but with this voucher system i would only get to try 2x18 plus whiskies and 2 younger whiskies. Is this worth travel costs and the £22 price tag, i dont think so, better off staying home and buying a full bottle of 18 year old of my choice.

Charlie

Charlie,
During the Spring Festival on Speyside 1-10 May , you pay £8 for entry to the Whisky Fair in Dufftown.
And, if you behave, in order words: don't get drunk, you will probably get more than a dozen (12) nips for that price ! !
To me Whisky Live is over rated!!
Rene

:: Top Malt Laughing

butephoto
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wholeheartedly with Alistair's post. Those events mentioned are far better and Whisky Live is very poor in comparison. It's a shame since Glasgow's only whisky event should be something on the scale of the city. It falls far short, though.
Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Whisky Live is not the best event around, i attend because it is handy for me to get to the event, even then i do not attend every single year. The one event which i havent been to which i would like to is the Speyside Festival.

Bookie
Peter D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I was thinking of attending whisky live Glasgow for the first time this year but i have just taken a look at the website http://www.whiskylive.com/scotland/glasgow-2009/ and there doesnt appear to be a lot of exibitors listed on the site, only 13 on the Whisky Live Glasgow page i have linked to and a few of them are not whisky distillers.

Surely there must be more exibitors than this, as i said i havent attended before but not sure if it is worth the trouble if that is all that is going to be there.

Peter D
Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter

I see what you mean, there are not many whisky companies listed on that page and it does appear to be the main page for the Glasgow event. I hadnt bought a ticket yet and to be honest i was still swaying on whether to bother. Surely there must be loads more exibitors than what is listed???

Mark
Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list of exibotors although quality is very small, i have the feeling some whisky companies are staying away this year.

Charlie
butephoto
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisky Live still hasn't sold out compared to Whisky Fringe which I was at yesterday which sold out before Christmas. That speaks volumes. Also the number of exhibitors at Whisky Live is very small compared to Whisky Fringe or Ayr, and yet costs more to get in to.

And yes, many exhibitors are not attending Whisky Live due to the high price they charge for a table. I will be very surprised if Whisky Live is still running in Glasgow next year.

McKay
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look on the whisky live site, still quite a short list of exibitors. It is a shame it is such a poor turn out when considering the distillers dont exacyly have to travel far for this event. Hopefully there are still enough their to make it a good day, i am going to the 12 -4pm session so may see some of you their. Very Happy

McKay
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mckay

Hopefully it will be a good day, i am going to the 12 - 4 session myself so i may run into you.

William
Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got myself an early session ticket the other day so may bump into yous also, just enjoying a wee night cap just now and browsing the forum before hitting my pit so i can catch the early train to Glasgow in the morning.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: