www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Rosebank To Release Two 1993 Single Cask Whiskies

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rosebank To Release Two 1993 Single Cask Whiskies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Rosebank To Release Two 1993 Single Cask Whiskies Reply with quote

Ian Macleod Distillers announce the release of two single cask 1993 vintage Rosebank single malt whiskies, each has been matured in a refill Bourbon Hogshead cask but are said to have their own completely distinct and unique character. Only 100 bottles of whisky from each cask will initially be released and will be available to purchase via ballot.As you can imagine you will need deep pockets to get hold of a bottle.

More info here:

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/rosebank1993singlecask.htm

lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will sell no problem to collectors and potential investors but a word of caution remember the distillery closed in 1993 when this distillate was put into casks.
How hard do you think the people at the distillery would be worried about quality knowing they were soon out of a job, the bonded warehouse was sold 5 years earlier. I am not saying they were not working but if you look at the likes of Glen Mhor, Glen Albyn, Linthgow, Brora & Port Ellen there are pointers to show that close to shutdown quality had fallen.
The reason it is £2500 is because it will scare drinkers off but collectors and investors will not open the bottle who buy them and no person will be any the wiser as to the quality of the spirit inside.
Sure there will be some massive scores coming out when the bottle is on sale, that will either have come from people given a trade sample or just because people are trying to push up interest and value.
Hey I could be wrong , but it matters not you could buy the next Daftmill release at 46% for £95, assuming there is any left after the flippers have had their fill.
Daftmill has similarities with the profile of Rosebank.
Brummie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given what they would have had to select from to bottle for these first two bottlings under the Ian Macleod ownership I would assume they have picked a couple of very good examples of Rosebank, I don't go along with the thinking that they would be bad due to the distillery closing in 1993.

Still at £2500 a bottle it is out of my reach for drinking but good luck to those who has that kind of money to drink, I hope they are good.
Crane
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always interesting to see how quickly bottles like this sell, too rich for me but I agree I am sure they would have selected something good given it is their first release
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brummie wrote:
Given what they would have had to select from to bottle for these first two bottlings under the Ian Macleod ownership I would assume they have picked a couple of very good examples of Rosebank, I don't go along with the thinking that they would be bad due to the distillery closing in 1993.

Still at £2500 a bottle it is out of my reach for drinking but good luck to those who has that kind of money to drink, I hope they are good.

I was merely pointing out that it was a possibility going on other closed distilleries but one thing is for sure they are staggeringly overpriced.

Albie
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prices are not really out of line with what the big whisky retailers are selling some Rosebank around the same age for https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/b/40/rosebank-single-malt-scotch-whisky

I would have been surprised if they had been priced much less than they are.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albie wrote:
The prices are not really out of line with what the big whisky retailers are selling some Rosebank around the same age for https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/b/40/rosebank-single-malt-scotch-whisky

I would have been surprised if they had been priced much less than they are.

The trouble with the whisky scene at the moment is that there is no correlation between quality and price but that is looking at it from a drinkers perspective.
The perspective from collectors and investors is completely different;

Going back to the price of this bottle and the TWE. there is still bottles to compare, look at the price of the Rare Malts bottles at 1400 & 1500 respectively, still £1000 cheaper thank these offerings and the RM bottles are good quality and these are official bottles, they usually cost more than IB.

Look at the price of Iam Macleod Brora at TWE, roughly £1000 each and the OB special release Brora is £1600?

No they are taking the p--- with asking £2500 for these,

Maybe it is all part of the game, charge a massive amount for these and then the 3 year they release once Rosebank is up & running again will be priced accordingly. maybe they are testing the water, its like bait on a fish hook. Laughing
Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that there are more than enough whisky enthusiasts worldwide, whether they are collectors or drinkers, to buy up this relatively small release from each cask at these prices, sadly I am not one of them but I can see that this is a business and these bottles are not aimed at me and my whisky budget. I would love to taste them but I will have to make do with reading about them.
DylanInYork
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Lincoln imp with what he? says about them taking the p--- and there is loads of other amazing bottles out there for a lot less money...
Fergie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing about Scotch malt whisky, it is an affordable luxury and there is always something good to suit every budget.

John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Valentines Day tomorrow here is some Rosebank for the romantics amongst you, Rosebank Roses
Quote:
The Rosebank Roses are a range of extremely rare whiskies, showcasing the sought-after spirit of this lost Lowland distillery. Closed for more than 20 years, Rosebank produced what are now some of the rarest Scottish single malts – and some of the most revered by whisky lovers worldwide.

THE RELEASES

This small parcel of casks has been carefully nurtured for 21 years and has been bottled at the peak of its maturation, showing the complexity and elegance for which this distillery is legendary.

The seven bottlings will be released over the next seven years, with each expression displaying a different side of Rosebank’s charms. Their names are inspired by different varieties of roses, reflecting the whisky’s romantic, floral character and also the love affair that so many have with this distillery. Each of the seven releases is marriage of casks of single malt, drawn from a batch of 15. Each Rose balances soft fruit and spice to create a truly spellbinding whisky.

The Rosebank Roses bottlings will be:

I believe Grace will be priced £875 and will be available from February 14

Last edited by John on Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got an email from TWE about the Rosebank 21 year 52.6% Roses Edition 4 - Grace.
This Rosebank is £875, now I don`t think TWE are cheap but that is £1625 cheaper than the Ian Macleod offerings and puts thing in perspective for me.

And going back to my point about quality and possibly being lower when distilleries were due to close this Rose bottle may illustrate my point.
It must have been re bottled as it is a 21 year bottled 2019 but I suspect this was from distillate originally distilled in 92 or 93 (anyone know if this is correct?)

I have tried this Rose bottling and the nose was ok but the palate and finish were pretty rubbish
N-80
P-70
F-70

I like lighter whisky because I also like blends but the overall score was 73 points which is lower than my MOTR score.
For what its worth my brother thought it was even worse than my score.

Someone said IM would not bottle anything other than two good examples but look at this Rosy, it happens.

You can`t believe the hype, the proof is in the drinking, all palates are different of course, I am sure some will love it, mind If I paid £875 or more for a bottle and my first impression was not a good one, trust me I would force myself to love it. Smile

Good to see thatb TWE are limiting this to 1 bottle per customer.

Last edited by lincoln imp on Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:45 pm; edited 5 times in total
lowlander
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fergie wrote:
That's the thing about Scotch malt whisky, it s an affordable luxury and there is always something good to suit every budget.

Some may argue that its increasingly becoming an unaffordable luxury for those who don't have deep pockets. Sad Certainly the range of "top end" whiskies from distillery bottlings that was available compared to 5 years ago and now is certainly diminished. I tend to find better value in buying from independent botters, but even then (from my experience), anything over a 12 year old is now tending to come with a premium price tag.

Although I would agree with you that there is something out there to fit most peoples budgets (certainly within the UK).
Dave h
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel split on this. Stupid price on one hand, great bottle for a collection.

Thing that is annoying is what appears bog standard packaging. Could have presented it in a unique distillery reopening case that other similar priced bottles often have.

Presentation just looks bang average, anyone know if it's a wooden box or jusr wooden print on a tube?

Reading posts here are brilliant source of information. But what's the deal of releasing only 200 of the 539 bottles on ballot. Think this promoting flippers, then will Rosebank have ballot 2 priced comoared to second hand market...
mike101
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: rosebank ballot Reply with quote

i just did get an email that I am the lucky one who can purchase a bottle of cask 443! Shocked GBP 2500!!!!

I am really struggling of what I should do.. (certainly not telling my wife!LOL)

any advice appreciated.

Cheers
mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: