www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Recommended Whisky Youtubes - Page 2

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Recommended Whisky Youtubes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like and watch quite a few of them. I also know they won't be to everyone's taste. Some I find entertaining whilst other times I use get an insight to a potential purchase, much like I would a written review.

Another to throw in to the mix is Chris Goodrum, (not my taste in music).
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGoodDramShow/videos

Scotch Test Dummies spoof of Roy recycled reviews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY6vnUMgsAQ

TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMaster wrote:
Phew! I thought I'd inadvertently offended someone then!

Don’t count your chickens pal. Embarassed
Redders1974
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I love ralphy. But I don't claim to be an expert also enjoy maltbox's reviews they are about the only two I watch on a regular basis.
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Dermul (The Toshan Man http://www.markdermul.be/toshanman/ ) offers a another channel

Here he reviews Mortlach 15 Year Old Six Kingdoms
https://youtu.be/RL88kX2TdW4
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link Matt perfectly demonstrates why any Whisky reviewer that decides to review outdoors is a complete loon, unless they have professional grade equipment or at least some form of wind cover. He's a good reviewer, but his comments are being drowned out by wind booming, his props are blowing off the table, there's a loud commotion in the street behind him at moe than one point because one of his neighbours have the builders in... sigh. Why do these people do it? What possible benefit is there in recording a vlog in an environment in which you have absolutely zero control?
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralfy did one outside and I didn’t think that was right, outside nosing got to be wrong hasn’t it?

MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty chilled on the Youtuber production values, these are people pushing boundaries, often on budgets, for the love of their interest (unless their channels take-off) and quirky or imperfect is ok with me. Mark has done a review in a swimming pool.

As for smell and taste outside, I keep in mind that aside from blind tasting, that some do, most have explored the reviewed whisky prior to recording and will be working from notes or memory.

As I inferred in the top post, not all reviews or reviewers will be to everyone's taste and just like whisky we have different preferences.
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisky Wednesday - 1950's White Horse Blended Whisky. "1950's White Horse, the heart malt being Lagavulin; assisted by a sprinkling of Maltmill! One of the rarest and definition of 'unicorn' whiskies that have ever existed! Cheers!"
https://youtu.be/v8wxhcj2Aps
TheMaster
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:
Ralfy did one outside and I didn’t think that was right, outside nosing got to be wrong hasn’t it?

He did. It didn't go well. He admitted it too.

To be fair, it all depends on what the desired effect is, what is the drinker trying to accomplish. Humans are quite remarkable things when it comes to our senses, you can have the same spirit 10 times, each on a consecutive day, and each time smell and drink a different spirit when it comes to your sensory input - it all depends on your surroundings, what you've had to eat or drink during the day, what you cooked for tea last night, if you've done any washing today, if you washed your hands recently, or the air pressure and temperature....it goes on.

Drinking whisky in certain settings really enhances the entire experience, such as outdoors in autumn with a bracing glass of Ardbeg, or sitting by the beach with a glass of Laphroaig, but these are no objective ways to review a whisky. The do provide a very enjoyable moment though.

If you're doing a review of a whisky on it's own merits then you should try to do it in the same room, at the same time of day as your other reviews, to at least attempt to give it a fair shout Smile

MattS wrote:
As for smell and taste outside, I keep in mind that aside from blind tasting, that some do, most have explored the reviewed whisky prior to recording and will be working from notes or memory.

Even blind tastings are pointless; the whisky you had before the one you're currently drinking will have altered your palates baseline and people very rarely get their palate back to that baseline in a tasting flight, even with whatever cleansing methods they use.

I totally think its worth pulling previous sessions into a review when you look at a whisky, aferall it's what the whisky smelt and tasted like the last time you drank it (provided it's accurate of course) Wink
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, agreed so many things impact smell and taste. The same can be said of written reviews too. We never know the circumstance in which the writer tried the spirit.

Roy live in his 3rd anniversary vPub for the 'bar flies'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD2llhoR37o
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full range of Arrans by Chris Goodrum
https://youtu.be/img7t5lZSiE

Arran Barrel Reserve 43%
Arran Sherry Cask 55.8%
Arran Quarter Cask 56.2%
Arran 10 year old 46%
Arran 18 year old 46%
Arran 21 year old 46%
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the whisky friend enthusing over the Kilkerran 8 sherry
https://youtu.be/pXZqwOlJ6c4

sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always fun and interesting to read these kind of topics.. Everyones opinions differ and that’s why there is always a disagreement on things like this.. Ralfy will continue to give his personal thoughts and sometimes controversial opinions as long as people watch. Love him or hate him he is very good entertainment.
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralfy review 778 Extras - non-alcoholic Seedlip spirit review, lol

https://youtu.be/dBIXwtrDB80
GregBurnett
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralfy's latest loch lomond 18 extras video is worth watching for a good laugh. First he starts talking about energy lines affecting the spirit distilleries produce, then he pulls out a can of monster energy to compare to whisky...

I do watch some of his videos and while I don't agree with everything he says, I have nothing against him. I find him quite entertaining but the last video was just a bit silly!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: