www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Macallan Easter Elchies Black, 2019 Release

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Macallan Easter Elchies Black, 2019 Release
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DillyT
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Macallan Easter Elchies Black, 2019 Release Reply with quote

Am I missing something here but Macallan have just opened there ballot of the 2019 Easter Elchies Balck with a price of £750

£750 is a lot of money for a bottle with almost no info about it apart form it is 49.7% how do they get to £750? when Arran have just started selling there 5th White Stag which is a 9yo at £120 and Aldi is selling a 25yo for £40

Is it now that the older the whisky the cheaper it gets?

Brummie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the Macallan Easter Elchies Black, 2019 Release ballot email in my inbox, little or no mention on age, barrel types, whether this is a peated whisky I would think it is or at least perhaps has some peated whisky in the vatting given the tasting note but I am left to guess as £750 doesn't apparently buy you detailed info on the whisky. Available for delivery to 29 countries but no info on how many bottles are available.
GregBurnett
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The terms say that you will be automatically charged if you are successful in the ballot...why is this the case? The Genesis ballot gave you the choice and a certain amount of time to complete the purchase.

I'm sceptical about the numbers of bottles available with this release. Any new information would be welcome!
eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ballot is a joke. But that should come as no surprise
DillyT
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can find online is that the 2018 had 1958 bottles with an average price now of £1500 but that is what the shops are asking. But in the auctions ending that the start of this month they where reaching £750

I know one thing for sure I am going to be very careful about buying whisky like this one with no info about it.. as for £750 there is some amazing bottles out there over 30 years old that I would love to try.
Dave h
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my email, deleted my email.

eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eelbrook wrote:

Yes you are right, Macallan are a joke, they now think they do not even have to justify their pricing strategy or something so mundane as actually telling purchasers about the actual whisky they want you to purchase.

I cannot believe their attitude, which is `you are buying a Macallan, you as a punter are not entitled to know anything else, just accept it and hand over your money`
They have been trading on past glories for far too long.
DillyT
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:
eelbrook wrote:

Yes you are right, Macallan are a joke, they now think they do not even have to justify their pricing strategy or something so mundane as actually telling purchasers about the actual whisky they want you to purchase.

I cannot believe their attitude, which is `you are buying a Macallan, you as a punter are not entitled to know anything else, just accept it and hand over your money`
They have been trading on past glories for far too long.

Spot on!
davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps someone at Macallan has finally asked why they need to bother supplying details about casks and peat content when nobody is opening them anyway...
Graeme H
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely and utterly ridiculous pricing on a whisky which they have revealed almost nothing about, this could be 3 years old. I love a sherried dram and a smoky sherried dram but you need to tell me why a whisky qualifies for this asking price.

I am dramming the Glendronach 21 Parliament this evening, not a cheap dram but I would rather have 5 or so bottles of this than a single bottle of a whisky which they refuse to tell you the details about which basically tells me they are ripping whisky drinkers off.

For me the Glendronach took the Macallan throne as king of the sherried Speyside drams quite some time ago.
torcross
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To play devils advocate,

I totally agree that on one side Macallan are releasing these NAS expressions,Easter Elchies Black, Macallan Estate, Easter Elchies 2 or whatever it is, we have no information they charge £750, they even had a ballot the the Estate that was and is readily available.

On the other hand I have said it here before

I know it easy to hate Macallan full stop BUT I have managed to buy a few expressions of the Exceptional Cask at normal prices and you get all the information available on the bottle, type of cask, cask number,date of distillation, date of bottling number of bottles and lots of these bottles are half the price of the Easter Elchies and IMO are a superb expression of what Macallan can produce, agreed it was difficult to get them at normal prices but if you can I would try.

I now await the 'but for £350 you can buy a more decent Glendronach, Benriach, Talisker etc,etc but that's a matter of opinion.

Just saying that not every Macallan is a NAS overpriced mystery .

webdunk
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torcross wrote:
I have managed to buy a few expressions of the Exceptional Cask at normal prices

Witchcraft! How on earth have you managed that!? I bought a dram of one at the distillery and it was exceptional... but I have never seen one at a retail outlet.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torcross wrote:
To play devils advocate,

I totally agree that on one side Macallan are releasing these NAS expressions,Easter Elchies Black, Macallan Estate, Easter Elchies 2 or whatever it is, we have no information they charge £750, they even had a ballot the the Estate that was and is readily available.

On the other hand I have said it here before

I know it easy to hate Macallan full stop BUT I have managed to buy a few expressions of the Exceptional Cask at normal prices and you get all the information available on the bottle, type of cask, cask number,date of distillation, date of bottling number of bottles and lots of these bottles are half the price of the Easter Elchies and IMO are a superb expression of what Macallan can produce, agreed it was difficult to get them at normal prices but if you can I would try.

I now await the 'but for £350 you can buy a more decent Glendronach, Benriach, Talisker etc,etc but that's a matter of opinion.

Just saying that not every Macallan is a NAS overpriced mystery .

I think the problem is generally that prices are far too high for the quality on offer, you could apply the same logic to Dalmore also.
I come at this from trying Macallan from the 50`s onwards of various ages and I know currently casks are an issue but Macallan have maintained high prices yet the quality and enjoyment has fallen sharply, the Macallans of late that I have tried have been just plain bland.
But I suspect others are right, not enough people open them and even if they do their is still a perception in some quarters that if you do not like or get Macallan then you are not serious about whisky, some people feel they have to follow the flow , that is how it is.
I remember the same sort of thing happening about Ardbeg when everyone was scoring it high regardless of the quality, there was also a perception that if you did not like Ardbeg you where somewhat inferior like you just did not get it, (I blame Jim Murray for some of the Ardbeg hysteria).
I have seen it many times when some honest punters on various forums felt they had to say Macallan was great, Ardbeg was great, because if they did not they feared they would be ridiculed or at least looked down on.
I digress, apologies.
blackcipher
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be entering the ballot. Zero info except for the price!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: