www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Ardbeg 10 what next

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ardbeg 10 what next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cobra
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Ardbeg 10 what next Reply with quote

I am trying out a few Islay whiskys
Coal ila 12
Ardbeg 10
What should I try next as a while ago I didn’t like peat but now I seam to have grown into really enjoying them
I’ve also enjoyed Talisker 10 but I know that’s not from Islay

Timp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lagavulin 16.. Always worth it I reckon..
BigShing
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them! :D

More Ardbeg whiskies are a must: uigeadail, corry, etc, just try whatever you can afford.

Kilchoman Machir Bay is for me perhaps the closest non-Ardbeg Islay in terms of flavour profile to Ardbeg 10 - not as good because it's a young whisky, but then what is as good as Ardbeg 10? I do love me some Kilchoman. Sanaig is also a cracking whisky, but the Machir Bay is the best value at a lower price point.

Bruichladdich Port Charlotte definitely demands a go.

Lagavulin 16 is a different beast to Ardbeg but if anything can challenge Ard 10 for the crown of King of Islay, imo. If you like it, then try the 8yr.

Bowmore 12 is nice and fruity, but much more mellow. Closer to Talisker 10 in terms of pea strength.

Port Askaig 100 is around £46 at the moment I think and that's a very low price for a cask strength Islay.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for Lagavulin 16, for the price it is still a good whisky and much better than the Ardbeg 10 but like many OB there is variation between batches.
If you can afford it what about Caol Ila 18 year, a solid performer.

If you like peat have you tried any Ardmore. not an Islay whisky but worth a shout.
There are some pretty good IB Ardmore about.
Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with BigShing, Kilchoman is probably the closest to Ardbeg in terms of flavour profile. The Machir Bay offers the most bang for your buck from their range.

You have to try Lagavulin of course, given how iconic it is. The 16 year old is more complex than the 8 (and indeed more complex than the Ardbeg 10) but if you want a simple, powerful dollop of peat then you should try the 8 first. (personally I prefer Ardbeg 10 to either of them but it's all subjective, as lincoln imp's opinion shows)

If you liked Caol Ila 12, why not try an independent bottling of Caol Ila? There's great value to be found - Gordon & MacPhail and Signatory in particular always seem to have great young and middle aged affordable Caol Ilas.

Of course there's also Laphroaig (see the discussion on the 10 vs. the Quarter Cask for my opinion there - personally I would take Ardbeg 10 & Uigeadail and Lagavulin 8 and 16 before any Laphroaig unless we're talking about the 10 Cask Strength)

Finally, it's not from Islay but I have to put in a word for Ledaig 10, which has come in leaps and bounds in recent years but is still sometimes a bit of a hidden gem.

davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ledaig 10
Cobra
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All seem very good suggestions I’ll check out what’s on offer
Gazrob
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ledaig 10 is an excellent value bottle I reckon.
Kilchosam
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incase you couldn't guess, i'm a huge Kilchoman advocate. To me their standard bottling of Mahir Bay is one of the single best Islay drams you can get and £ for £ blows everything else out of the water.

Having said that though, there are an enormous amount of excellent single malts available from Islay so you really can't go too far wrong.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilchosam wrote:
Incase you couldn't guess, i'm a huge Kilchoman advocate. To me their standard bottling of Mahir Bay is one of the single best Islay drams you can get and £ for £ blows everything else out of the water.

Having said that though, there are an enormous amount of excellent single malts available from Islay so you really can't go too far wrong.

With a recommendation like that I should try that one, I did try a 12 year OB private cask release that was really good though cask 118/2006 55.2%

Kilchosam
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:
Kilchosam wrote:

With a recommendation like that I should try that one, I did try a 12 year OB private cask release that was really good though cask 118/2006 55.2%

I can imagine that being pretty amazing! I can't wait for them to start coming out with more age statement whiskies as the distillery starts to get older.

One thing to note with the Mahir Bay is that it's not a 'peat bomb' in the same way ardbeg 10 or laphroaig 10 is - it's more balanced and has a sweet side to it similar to Lagavulin 16
Acksboy
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the pocket depth for it then the Octomore releases are outstanding. Need a fair share of water to tone it down a bit but certainly worth it with the depth of flavour. I can’t say that I’ve tried enough of them to recommend a certain release, however you’d need about £120 or so for an 8 year old and they’re certainly worth every penny in my opinion.
arqueturus
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an Islay but I've recently reaquainted myself with Talisker 10 and will recommend it. For some reason I don't recall it being 45.8% but it is and all the more for it.

Nowhere near as big a Peat hit as Ardbeg 10 but still very pleasant and I managed to pick one up for £25 on Amazon recently - should have bought 2 bottles!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: