www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Scotland July camping trip

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Scotland July camping trip

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotchnthings
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Scotland July camping trip Reply with quote

Hey,

Im planning a (wild) camping trip to scotland with two friends half July this year. I very much like a dram, my friends wouldnt say no when they are offered but arent really enthousiasts either, so I dont want to plan the whole trip around distilleries either. Well be driving around. I have done a trip a few years ago where I drove from Glasgow onto Islay and then the West coast up to inverness and back, and I absolutely loved it (excerpt for the midges). What would the experts recommend.

I would absolutely love to go to Campbeltown for example (mainly for the whisky) but would it have much to offer for the lesser whisky enthousiast?

Thanks

BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure Campbeltown would be the best destination for a camping trip as it's more of a coastal town. Obviously great place to go for the whisky though!
The Mantis
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree about the coastal town thing as you are driving. Campbeltown is surrounded by wonderful places to camp like Machrihanish which has beaches like the Hebrides, and Southend. Also Carradale nearby is very nice.

The worst thing about Campeltown is it's absolutely miles from anywhere. If you're determined to go there you could combine it with trips to Arran and Gigha. Or Islay depending on how long you've got. Kennacraig where you depart for Islay is not far from Campbeltown.

You also don't mention how mobile you and your mates are. Campbeltown has Davaar Island (with an impressive crucifixion cave painting), which is tidal and a 2km walk. Also the Mull of Kintyre lighthouse which is good if you're mobile. There is an excellent whisky trail in Campbeltown but don't go on a Sunday.
Scotchnthings
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep were all pretty mobile (depending on the level of alcohol that went through us Top Malt). For me Campbeltown would definitely be top of the List, but as you say its quite of a detour. So it would probably be best planning it in at the beginning or end of the trip. The beaches do look lovely though. Has anyone taken the Androssan - Campbeltown ferry at all?
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mantis wrote:
I disagree about the coastal town thing as you are driving. Campbeltown is surrounded by wonderful places to camp like Machrihanish which has beaches like the Hebrides, and Southend. Also Carradale nearby is very nice.
Ignore me, for some daft reason I got it into my head that the OP wanted to rough it in forests/vegetation old school hiking/camping style, not driving and using campsites! Completely overlooked that deatil in his post!
Scotchnthings
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShing wrote:
The Mantis wrote:
Ignore me, for some daft reason I got it into my head that the OP wanted to rough it in forests/vegetation old school hiking/camping style, not driving and using campsites! Completely overlooked that deatil in his post!

We would definitely be up for that as well, if you have recommendations please do tell. Im just trying to find a balance between visiting distilleries and doing some hikes and (wild) camping. Campbeltown would be more an overnight stop as I love their whiskies and haven't really been. Sorry for not being clear on that. Is the town itself worthwhile?

Whisky Rogue
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you walked the West Highland Way, you can take in Glengoyne near the start of it and you will find Ben Nevis near the end of it. You can break it up into legs and just do a part you want https://www.westhighlandway.org/
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotchnthings wrote:
We would definitely be up for that as well, if you have recommendations please do tell. Im just trying to find a balance between visiting distilleries and doing some hikes and (wild) camping. Campbeltown would be more an overnight stop as I love their whiskies and haven't really been. Sorry for not being clear on that. Is the town itself worthwhile?
Unfortunately I've not had the pleasure of hiking/camping in Scotland, nor have I visited Campbeltown yet either. I do want to try and get up there next year or perhaps later on this year if opportunity arises. I have researched the place extensively though because there was a possibility of a trip early this year with friends that fell through and I think it looks like a nice enough place. Obviously it's no Oban but for a day or two quickie trip with three sensational distilleries to pop into, I seenothing to complain about.

Dunno how many people following this thread watch Ralfy's whisky vlog reviews on YouTube, but he recently described Campbeltown as "a bit of a dump" just wondering what people think about that? Where I live it looks practically posh to me! :D
The Mantis
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to Campbeltown 2 or 3 times. I wouldn't exactly say it was a dump, but it's a bit run down in places. Some of the buildings were obviously very grand in their day and many still are. Plenty of sandstone and granite about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: