www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Christmas in a glass? - Page 2

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Christmas in a glass?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redders1974
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShing wrote:
Cheers guys, placed an order for Chariman's over on amazon because it's only £21.99. If I like it I'll give that Mount Gay Black Barrel a crack as well! :D I've bookmarked that site as well Redders, thanks.

You said in a previous post you want a sipping rum it's a bit like comparing apples and pears. Personally not a big fan of spiced rum and wouldn't really class many as sippers. Mainly made cheap and to be used as mixers. Whereas dark Rum is a whole different ball game. Especially Jamaican or Bajan would happily sip on many of these.

MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShing wrote:
Cheers guys, placed an order for Chariman's over on amazon because it's only £21.99. If I like it I'll give that Mount Gay Black Barrel a crack as well! :D I've bookmarked that site as well Redders, thanks.

I didn't see the spiced one reduced or did you go for the regular?
TheMaster
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a real, Xmas, not "sweet" spiced rum then get bottle of Bristol Black from Bristol Classic. It's not cheap though. Most spiced rums are overly sweetened and full of favouring and masses of vanilla.

If You want a good dark rum then Cadenhead Classic Dark rum is a cracker. If you really want Christmas in a glass and have deeper pockets and know what you're doing then Foursqaure Hereditas (TWE exclusive) is basically rum that tastes like Christmas cake....
Redders1974
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMaster wrote:
If you're looking for a real, Xmas, not "sweet" spiced rum then get bottle of Bristol Black from Bristol Classic. It's not cheap though. Most spiced rums are overly sweetened and full of favouring and masses of vanilla.

If You want a good dark rum then Cadenhead Classic Dark rum is a cracker. If you really want Christmas in a glass and have deeper pockets and know what you're doing then Foursqaure Hereditas (<a>TWE</a> exclusive) is basically rum that tastes like Christmas cake....

Good shout on the Bristol black master. One of the few spiced rum i really get along with. Not tried the hereditas but Foursquare just don't do bad rums. Every one I've tried has been great in its own way.
BigShing
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattS wrote:
Nah the spiced, if you look on the Amazon product page it's actually listing a Marketplace seller at £29.99, click on the other sellers link and you will see Amazon's own listing at £21.99.

I'll never understand why Amazon likes to list marketplace sellers above themselves, but it's bloody confusing when they do!

TheMaster wrote:
Awesome TM, thanks! I'm not really looking specifically for a christmas Rum, just any good starter sipping rum really to settle me into it. Trying to branch out more to Brandy and Rum to mix things up. I'll make sure both those Rums are on my shortlist, but I'm more likely to start with the Cadenhead given it's relatively low pricepoint. The Foursuare is a bit to rich for me, the most expensive bottle of whisky I ever bought was the Glen Scotia 2003 Vintage Rum Cask! :D

Redders1974 wrote:
Good shout on the Bristol black master. One of the few spiced rum i really get along with. Not tried the hereditas but Foursquare just don't do bad rums. Every one I've tried has been great in its own way.
Foursquare's Spiced is only £23 at amazon at the moment, so if I get the Chairman's Reserved quick enough and like it, I might order that as well, sounds like it's quite restrained for a spiced Rum.

MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShing wrote:
MattS wrote:
Nah the spiced, if you look on the Amazon product page it's actually listing a Marketplace seller at £29.99, click on the other sellers link and you will see Amazon's own listing at £21.99.

I'll never understand why Amazon likes to list marketplace sellers above themselves, but it's bloody confusing when they do!

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that Amazon oddity.
TheMaster
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking to start on sipping rum it's worth reading some of the blogs out there, some are very good. Not as many as you have with whisky but they are informative and passionate.

You need to think things differently with it. There is little regulation, sondistilleries can add stuff after it's made, such as sugar and flavour and call it rum (Diplomatico is a prime example). Also, if it's aged in the tropics the angels share is higher, so for a 10yo rum from Foursquare or anything from Jamaica it'll be the equivalent of 25-30yo whisky.

Barbados and Jamaica have regulations, they cannot sweeten. Starting out, anything from Foursquare would suit you as it's dry, so Doorly's, Foursquare Exceptional Casks and especially Rum SixtySix (the 12yo cask strength is amazing). In terms of Jamaica, Appleton 12yo, Worthy Park Estate and Hampden Estate rums.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a new bottling but the original bottlings of Royal Lochnagar Selected Reserve had all the Christmas cake and mulled wine spice thing going on.
Very nice, I have a bottle left that I am saving for a rainy day.
goonboydave
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auchentoshan Three Wood, just oozes christmas cake
BigShing
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice TM, will be checking out some rum blogs sharpish. I've already got that FatRumPirate site bookmarked!

TheMaster wrote:
IYou need to think things differently with it. There is little regulation, sondistilleries can add stuff after it's made, such as sugar and flavour and call it rum (Diplomatico is a prime example). Also, if it's aged in the tropics the angels share is higher, so for a 10yo rum from Foursquare or anything from Jamaica it'll be the equivalent of 25-30yo whisky.
Yeah this is exactly why I needed a little advice, I follow Ralfy's whisky blog on YouTube and he does like to remind you to beware of flavoured rums when he occasionally does a Rum episode, so I know it can be a bit of a minefield.

Quote:
Barbados and Jamaica have regulations, they cannot sweeten. Starting out, anything from Foursquare would suit you as it's dry, so Doorly's, Foursquare Exceptional Casks and especially Rum SixtySix (the 12yo cask strength is amazing). In terms of Jamaica, Appleton 12yo, Worthy Park Estate and Hampden Estate rums.
Awesome thanks!, Will check some out, Rum SixtySix was already on my radar thanks to Ralfy, but I was looking for something a bit cheap to start with just to get my bearings and then I'll level up the budget to £35+ if I like the basic stuff! :

BTW I tried El Dorado 12yr and 21yr (I think) at a whisky festival and I liked the 12yr a fair bit, but loved the 21yr. I was pretty mullered by that point though tbf, it was right at the end of the festival and I'd gone a bit mad and tried 53 whiskies by that point. Luckily I was fully functional and you couldn't tell I was well away from looking at me, so I got a couple of generous pours at the El Dorado stand to finish off the afternoon! Very Happy

BigShing
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot to mention two more Xmas whiskies, one is completely out of left field:

Mackmyra Moment Fjällmark (very odd whisky this one)
Mackmyra Vinterglöd
TheMaster
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShing wrote:
Thanks for the advice TM, will be checking out some rum blogs sharpish. I've already got that FatRumPirate site bookmarked!

TheMaster wrote:
IYou need to think things differently with it. There is little regulation, sondistilleries can add stuff after it's made, such as sugar and flavour and call it rum (Diplomatico is a prime example). Also, if it's aged in the tropics the angels share is higher, so for a 10yo rum from Foursquare or anything from Jamaica it'll be the equivalent of 25-30yo whisky.
Yeah this is exactly why I needed a little advice, I follow Ralfy's whisky blog on YouTube and he does like to remind you to beware of flavoured rums when he occasionally does a Rum episode, so I know it can be a bit of a minefield.

Quote:
Awesome thanks!, Will check some out, Rum SixtySix was already on my radar thanks to Ralfy, but I was looking for something a bit cheap to start with just to get my bearings and then I'll level up the budget to £35+ if I like the basic stuff! :

BTW I tried El Dorado 12yr and 21yr (I think) at a whisky festival and I liked the 12yr a fair bit, but loved the 21yr. I was pretty mullered by that point though tbf, it was right at the end of the festival and I'd gone a bit mad and tried 53 whiskies by that point. Luckily I was fully functional and you couldn't tell I was well away from looking at me, so I got a couple of generous pours at the El Dorado stand to finish off the afternoon! Very Happy

No probs.

Rumdiariesblog.* and rumtastic.blog are both really good UK ones.
Thelonecaner.com is good but more "advanced" and he's in Canada.

The others ones out there don't seem to do that many reviews.

Cocktailwonk is amazing if you want to geek out on articles.
Timp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMaster wrote:
BigShing wrote:

TheMaster wrote:

Quote:

No probs.

Rumdiariesblog.* and rumtastic.blog are both really good UK ones.
Thelonecaner.com is good but more "advanced" and he's in Canada.

The others ones out there don't seem to do that many reviews.

Cocktailwonk is amazing if you want to geek out on articles.

Weren't you going to start a rum blog Master?

Or am I getting you confused with someone else Very Happy
TheMaster
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? Not me, must be someone else.
Gazrob
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm relatively new to rum but I do highly recommend the mount gay black barrel it's good quality it's rich but not too sweet. It's not cheap but it's not expensive I think I paid £35. If you like sweet rums I really enjoyed the red leg spiced rum that you can pick up in supermarkets it's great value I think it's about £20. I just got the cadenheads Classic rum after it was recommended here. I might crack it open tonight. I'll let you guys know what I think of it. I'm a whisky drinker at heart but I do like a change now and again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: