www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Laphroaig 10 vs quarter cask

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Laphroaig 10 vs quarter cask

View previous topic :: View next topic  
griffin79

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Laphroaig 10 vs quarter cask Reply with quote

I recently purchased a bottle of laphroaig 10 and a bottle of the quarter cask and really can't decide between. The QC is bottled at 48% which definitely adds some extra oomph but laphroaig 10 is never going to be lacking in this area anyway. The trademark iodine and tcp are more pronounced in the 10 but the QC adds a peppery heat which I really like. Both have layers of brine, seaweed and sweetness but these are balanced differently. I literally can't pick between them!

ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only had the 10 but I have been told by friends to try the Q C as it's better, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how this post goes.
Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Laphroaig 10 has the potential to be a spectacular whisky but is let down by the low strength. The Quarter Cask is better in that regard but its flavour profile is actually a bit softer than the 10's. In the past, the 10 used to be available at 43% in travel retail and it made a real difference. I only realised it when my dad had saved an old bottle, which was miles better than the new versions at 40%.

Luckily, there is a solution: if you can find it, the Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength (any batch) is the embodiment of everything Laphroaig should be. Some Laphroaigs (Select, anyone?) make a mockery of the labels' claim that it's 'the most richly flavoured of all Scotch whiskies', but the 10 year old Cask Strength certainly lives up to that claim.
asmazda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the quarter cask is better.... tastes more complex to me and I don’t mind it’s not over the top with iodine. The cask size of the quarter cask accelerates aging hence the more complex taste without big price tag.
arqueturus
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much prefer the QC - Perhaps it's pure down to the higher ABV but I tend to find that Peated Whiskies really benefit from youth - I think the QC is sub 8 year old, maybe even as young as 5 and it's all the more for it.

Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give the nod ahead to the Quarter Cask. Cheers.
BigShing
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the Quarter Cask is sweeter and punchier and just friendlier, the 10yr is more complex, but as Alex says the 40% bottling level really restricts it imo.
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only got the 10 but has anyone home blended the 10 with the QC?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: