www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Aldi Christmas 2019 whisky - Page 9

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Aldi Christmas 2019 whisky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave h
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ardmore Laughing is that the legacy? Not comparing like for like really. This is nothing like an Ardmore.

This 2019 Christmas bottling is smooth, tasty and I'm through a quarter bottle on first weekend sitting. I am enjoying it and will get back to it in a month. Cant fault it. Can clearly tell it's not a fiery young whisky. Its light, a solid Speysider, This is well worth £40. Underwhelmed mentioned by some but not for me, I'm enjoying it. Would loked to have been on the tasting panel to try it less diluted, reckon this could have held a bit more on the 40% that might have satisfied the hardest of critics Smile

The Asda Tasgall 25 and 30 were also tasty drams. I've got one of each unopened for a time in the future. Trying to age a whisky on blind tasting, wow tricky, they aint fiery thats for sure.

I don't pay too much attention on age, usually its a guide to the pricing but never guarantees older is better, that's just not true. When word gets out this Glen Marnoch 25 year old 2019 edition is a Macallan then you'll need £500 to buy one at auction Laughing same £40 whisky, new premium price will by default make this a superb whisky Shocked

BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I enjoyed the Tasgall, didn't want to suggest they were subpar in any way!

I guess what I meant with the blind tasting comment is that most wouldn't guess they were over 18yrs old.
Owls7
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave H if you read the posts I wasn't comparing it to an Ardmore all I'm saying is I didn't rate the whisky and even at 39.99 for a 25 year old I wouldn't buy it again I would rather find two bottles in the sales and buy them each to his/her own.
AlexArthur
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, one thing is certain this year. The quality of discussion here is as high as it has even been. Well done guys!

I personally love the ALDI deals and particularly the aged spirits but appreciate all views and positions.

More reviews and opinions are most welcome!

Cheers! Top Malt
Dave h
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owls7 just clearing the Ardmore point as could misguide others. Not getting the thought process, maybe not clear. A simple not for me with what makes it so is good info, but the rather buy 2 x £20 bottles is a real dislike you have. If I was near Id offer to buy your opened bottle Laughing
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish whisky's cleared out at my loal Aldi, who have only been selling the Xmas whiskey range for about a week, so that's selling healthily.

I enquired about the 32yr Brandy and they called the manager on their headset and he said "I think that's the Brandy that is online only".

Owls7
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave H I gave the Glen Marnoch 7 out of 10 I didn't hate it just expected a little more as I said because I see the 25 on the bottle don't get me wrong I'm drinking it it's just not for me.
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For similar money I posted an 18yr Highland in the Whisky Offers section. 46% and non-chillfiltered.
DillyT
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShing wrote:
Irish whisky's cleared out at my loal Aldi, who have only been selling the Xmas whiskey range for about a week, so that's selling healthily.

I enquired about the 32yr Brandy and they called the manager on their headset and he said "I think that's the Brandy that is online only".

One of the Aidi's near me has the brandy plus about 20 bottles of the Glen Marnoch but I have not seen any of the Irish whiskey there..
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bizarre isn't it? They can't be arsed to ship the xmas spirits range out to their stores, and then they make it as difficult as possible to order any online by dumping them into a "minimum of 6 bottles" order limitation... then they say you can't return any of the bottles you order online to a nearby store. It's a total shambles.

Only been checking the one Aldi for the brandy, but I'll get to check another local store tomorrow, but I'm glad someone somewhere has a chance at ordering just one bloody bottle of the stuff.
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidl keeping the good stuff for their German stores? Including...

Ben Bracken Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky 27 Jahre 46% Vol
Ben Bracken Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky 30 Jahre 47% Vol
Ben Bracken Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky 32 Jahre 47% Vol

https://www.lidl.de/de/whisky-highlights-2019/c25742

They'll even sell you a 30l barrel filled with new make...
https://www.lidl.de/de/dein-eigenes-whiskyfass/c24233
Cobra
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried Aldi Glen Marnoch 25 highland and if the speyside is anywhere near that in quality then £39.99 is an absolute bargain. I have a bottle and I am really looking forward to sampling it and giving my feedback

sharkfinger
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:
I also see and understand Alex , but also I just gotta try them! Why not, the marnoch 28 was yes 43.4% or 43.3% , nobody' is saying Alex is wrong just I like good people with experience to try the stuff to get good feed back and at £39.99 , well why not .

As an aside, I bought 2 of those. Drank one over about 3 months because I'm not really into the sherry bomb speyside thing.

Last year, went into the garage to get the other bottle to put it on an auction site and the mice had chewed off the seal, right up to where it's 'gripped' by the wooden box, so they obviously liked the smell!

They couldn't get to the cork but left me with a bottle I can't sell and a whisky that I don't really get on with. Mousy b*stards.
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky shark,, how much do you think you would have got for the 28 or hoping for?
sharkfinger
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:
Unlucky shark,, how much do you think you would have got for the 28 or hoping for?

Think there were going for over £100 at one point, which prompted me to go dig it out.

Oh well, I'm sure people have lost a heck of a lot more than a £60 to mousy interlopers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: