www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - The Macallan

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Macallan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webdunk
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: The Macallan Reply with quote

Popped in to check out the new Macallan distillery today. Photos here

Booking was easy online for the 6 Pillars tour @ £15.

Very impressive place indeed! Tour was a wee bit different with some nice use of technology. Still polishing up some of the rough edges as it's only been open a short while. Sadly neither bargains nor distillery exclusives to be found for now (and you have to ask the prices of the whisky as none of it is labelled - staff appeared to suggest this was intentional!?). Also, no drivers drams... so if you are the designated driver, take your own container(s).

If you go, take the time to walk round the old site if possible, quite sad that it appears to have been so comprehensively sidelined.

Massive warehouses on road out are quite some size but artfully hidden from view fro much of the surrounding area.

Whisky Rogue
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the review of the new distillery, I hope to get back up some day for a visit.
bustamills

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited the new Macallan distillery today , and thought it was awful, I don't know who designed the new distillery , but they've totally missed the point, we arrived at the car park , and then wandered around wondering where to go , no signs to tell you where to go , we finally realised to we had to walk up this long climb up a path which looked halved finished ( at the beginning of the path there is a sign warning that disabled or old people might struggle and to call for assistance) once inside the whole place had a feel of being in a large office block or hospital, the light also made the place feel dark and cold , not what you expect for a Scottish distillery ,I left feeling angry with what the have done to the Macallan ,its all very corporate , and with this dry spell we are having up in Scotland the new roof looks terrible ,all the grass has been burnt and hasn't grown
What a waste of money !!!
Whisky Chaser
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure the idea of the grass roof sounded and looked great in the architects designs but I can imagine the Macallan grass roof looks dead, particularly this summer
arqueturus
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bustamills wrote:
I visited the new Macallan distillery today , and thought it was awful, I don't know who designed the new distillery , but they've totally missed the point, we arrived at the car park , and then wandered around wondering where to go , no signs to tell you where to go , we finally realised to we had to walk up this long climb up a path which looked halved finished ( at the beginning of the path there is a sign warning that disabled or old people might struggle and to call for assistance) once inside the whole place had a feel of being in a large office block or hospital, the light also made the place feel dark and cold , not what you expect for a Scottish distillery ,I left feeling angry with what the have done to the Macallan ,its all very corporate , and with this dry spell we are having up in Scotland the new roof looks terrible ,all the grass has been burnt and hasn't grown

I thought that was the point - big, corporate flashiness? Modern styling does reflect the industry.

I know we all love the beauty and simplicity of the existing distilleries but in their time they were the same - an industrial tour de force that were probably just as ugly back then that you feel the Macallan is now.
maltusone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bustamills wrote:

Was just there a few weeks ago, agree 100%. Seemed more like a giant monument to their ego than a distillery.

maltusone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bustamills wrote:

Was just there a few weeks ago, agree 100%. Seemed more like a giant monument to their ego than a distillery.
Slainte mhath
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there a few weeks ago.
Hated every second of our visit and certainly won't be back. Was more like a set for a James bond movie than a distillery.
Much prefer the ambience of the likes of the edradour at pitlochry to the eyesore that's been created by the Macallan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: