www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Scottish distillery mocked for edible 'Scotch capsules'

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Scottish distillery mocked for edible 'Scotch capsules'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowlander
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Scottish distillery mocked for edible 'Scotch capsules' Reply with quote

Good heavens! Shocked

Is anyone here willing to admit trying one of these?

https://www.scotsman.com/business/scottish-distillery-mocked-for-edible-scotch-capsules-1-5019151

Quote:
A whisky company has been mocked online after releasing a promotional video for Scotch capsules.

Glenlivet has revealed the "Glenlivet capsule collection", single malts encapsulated inside small edible seaweed pods.

Appearing on the The Glenlivet Twitter account, the post read: 'No ice. No stirrer. No glass. We're redefining how whisky can be enjoyed.

In the advert, a voice over announces: "The Glenlivet has released an original whisky drinking experience.

"A collection of edible cocktail capsules made from seaweed, meaning no need for glass, ice, or a cocktail stirrer."

It goes on to say: "The Glenlivet capsule collection sets new standards."

However, the new line from the Speyside firm - which closely resemble laundry detergent tablets - didn't go down well with social media users and trolls, who left a series of humorous and scathing comments.

One user said: "Thanks, but… it wasn't hard to drink Scotch."

While one bemused person commented: "No one asked for this."

One Twitter user sees this as a major PR flunk, and argued: "Some evil genius marketer produced advertisement that just destroyed the carefully cultivated mystique of The Glenlivet brand.

"Think Goizueta’s New Coke disaster times 100."

Other users saw the funny side, saying: "Carry some in your pocket for that afternoon pick-me-up!"

Archer
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Daily Record newspapers take on it "dishwasher tablet-shaped cocktail capsules"

At the end of the day they are not single malt whisky pods but whisky cocktail pods, i don't know what the measure of whisky/alcohol each pod will contain but if it is at least a 25ml measure it really does nothing for responsible drinking to put a pod in your mouth and consume it in seconds
Crane
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Glenlivet cocktail pods were apparently created especially for London Cocktail Week and wont be on general release, they were simply something different they created to promote their single malt being used in cocktails. I would guess each pod would have no more alcohol in it than you would find in a mouthful of your average cocktail.

I see the Glenlivet cocktail pods video has had over 8.4 million views on twitter and loads of comments, not all good with many thinking its a pod of single malt whisky. Was the video a bit of marketing, it certainly has got the brand noticed on twitter, but has it been good marketing for the brand. It was certainly amusing reading some of the comments on twitter.
DillyT
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend showed me the video today ad I was shocked that someone would want to put 23ml of whisky in there mouth in one go..

I am sat here with a double whisky and I am just sipping it and enjoying the flavour there is no way I would neck it!
RN Rob
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the Glenlivet pod video earlier today on twitter, I must admit as I didn't pay too close attention to the video I thought it was straight whisky in the pods and thought it was a mad creation, I realise now it was a sample of a cocktail in the pods and they were just a promotional gimmick.
davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelin star restaurants serve up food in all sorts of unconventional ways and are praised for innovation, why not drink as well?

It's not whisky in the pods but cocktails as mentioned (and seemingly ignored by a lot of people) and it's certainly provoked a response, so kudos to the marketing team and the R&D department.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: