www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Is it just me?

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Is it just me?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DylanInYork
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Is it just me? Reply with quote

I have been wondering this for some time now, But when you go into a supermarket to do some shopping do you just have a peek at the whisky to see if there is any offers or something new there?

Or is it just me?

And did you find anything?

Dave h
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every visit no matter the shop or location, I'll have a look.

Last edited by Dave h on Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave h
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic! Its got me checking out some reciepts in the bottom of the boxes.

Every visit no matter the shop or location, I'll have a look. Not bought anything for a while as supermarket shelf space has reduced in recent times for the Gin. Used to be interesting seeing variations but seems now just typical offerings across the board but still look on every visit.

My best buys from a Supernarket was a local Tesco on clearance, 50-60% off quite a few outside the 'core' - how does this read? Scapa 16 £33, Dalmore 12 £20, Old Pulteney 17 £37, Tomatin CuBocan £20, Linkwood 15 by Gordon Macphail £23, and a Miltonduff 10 by Gordon Macphail all in one day,. This was maybe 4 years ago when they were clearing well stocked shelves to make way for Ginageddon. Picked up more than 1 of each!

Also Talisker 2003, 2005 &2006 Distillers Edition a couple of years back in local Tesco for £42, mind this well, as all bottles were all mixed up on the shelf, clearly not recognising the differences. They had to go to the back stores to get the boxes, what a time trying to get the matching boxes from the mix, bringing through a couple at a time to see if matched.

Mind I picked up Tasgall, Asda premium blend, the 25 (£20) and 30 (£25) year old for 50% off on clearance. Very nice!

But my favourite buy was in Tesco up in Aberdeen an Old Pulteney 21 for about £75. No longer get the expensive offerings like this, that's why a favourite supermarket buy.

Another one that comes to mind is the Glenfiddich The Original 1963 with reduced sticky labels on the tin down to £30 at Morrisons at Berwick Upon Tweed.

What's your memorable Supermarket buys?
Brummie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in a supermarket I without fail check out the whisky, although most of the big supermarkets have cut back on what they offer in recent times which means I am less likely to pick anything up.
Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure we all do! I haven't bought anything from the supermarket for a while but I do check the prices of some staple whiskies like Talisker 10, Highland Park 12, Laphroaig 10, Glenfiddich 15 and Balvenie Doublewood.

I don't have Dave's track record of bargains, but the highlight from the past is definitely Highland Park 18 for £30 from Tesco. I guess at around 2010-2011?

ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s our passion so why not, I also get bread and milk while I’m there, also some pale sherry for my mum as that’s her tipple on Sunday’s
BigShing
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since I seriously got into whisky a few years back I don't think there has been a single time when I've entered a supermarket and not checked the prices of the whiskies before I leave. I regularly pop in most supermarkets as well, so I'm pretty up to date on the majority of the deals! :D
Timp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Very Happy

Got a few good bargains over the years, mostly as Dave mentioned when they have been clearing lines.

Due to a lack of them in my part of the world even worse when I see an off licence or bottle shop! Probably a good job as my will power is left on the pavement as soon as I go through the door.

Happy hunting, will be at it today!
DylanInYork
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I have found over the last few years. I keep note of where, when and also the price but not the discounts...

Jura 10 Origin 70cl @ £12 At sainsburys Last year so I got all of them
HP Dragon Lagend 70cl @ £19.50 Waitrose This Year
Old Pulteney 17yo 70cl @ £40 last year at some small Coop so I got all 6 bottles
Glenmorangie A Midwinter's night dram 70cl @ £30 a random Tesco local Last year so I got all 4 bottles. (Lovely stuff)
Yamazaki 12yo old stile @ £45 at Asda 3 years ago so I got 4 bottles

I always look and sometimes I have to get the odd bottle and end up carrying it around with me for the day.. (Hard life Laughing )
MattS
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, taking a walk past the whisky happens. Particularly if I get near a different branch when travelling or a different retailer.

Olorin
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave h wrote:
Great topic! Its got me checking out some reciepts in the bottom of the boxes.

Every visit no matter the shop or location, I'll have a look. Not bought anything for a while as supermarket shelf space has reduced in recent times for the Gin. Used to be interesting seeing variations but seems now just typical offerings across the board but still look on every visit.

My best buys from a Supernarket was a local Tesco on clearance, 50-60% off quite a few outside the 'core' - how does this read? Scapa 16 £33, Dalmore 12 £20, Old Pulteney 17 £37, Tomatin CuBocan £20, Linkwood 15 by Gordon Macphail £23, and a Miltonduff 10 by Gordon Macphail all in one day,. This was maybe 4 years ago when they were clearing well stocked shelves to make way for Ginageddon. Picked up more than 1 of each!

Also Talisker 2003, 2005 &2006 Distillers Edition a couple of years back in local Tesco for £42, mind this well, as all bottles were all mixed up on the shelf, clearly not recognising the differences. They had to go to the back stores to get the boxes, what a time trying to get the matching boxes from the mix, bringing through a couple at a time to see if matched.

Mind I picked up Tasgall, Asda premium blend, the 25 (£20) and 30 (£25) year old for 50% off on clearance. Very nice!

But my favourite buy was in Tesco up in Aberdeen an Old Pulteney 21 for about £75. No longer get the expensive offerings like this, that's why a favourite supermarket buy.

Another one that comes to mind is the Glenfiddich The Original 1963 with reduced sticky labels on the tin down to £30 at Morrisons at Berwick Upon Tweed.

What's your memorable Supermarket buys?

I frequently will have a look, but echo sentiments that the selection is often not that great nowadays.

For the above, those are some seriously good deals! I'm rather envious Razz

Out of interest, how was the Scapa 16? I have a bottle at home that I bought when I was first getting in to whisky. I tried it once in a bar years ago, liked it at the time and then bought it as I heard it was being discontinued. Although I liked it when I tried it I was a "youth" in my whisky journey so may hold a different opinion of it now. Currently I am yet to open it as I am waiting for a special occasion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: