www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Talisker 1955 50 year 45% Secret Stills 1.1 G&M

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Talisker 1955 50 year 45% Secret Stills 1.1 G&M

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Talisker 1955 50 year 45% Secret Stills 1.1 G&M Reply with quote

Nose
A typical heavy sherried nose I suppose but it hints at being older by all leather and polish notes that go with it.
Hints of peat but certainly no talisker pepper on the nose that I can discern?
After a few minutes in the glass some medicinal notes creep in like a faint smell of Vic Vapour Rub, menthol that sort of thing.
The nose is nice but it is nothing to get excited about either but a good solid 89-90 p at any rate.

Taste
Thick chewy and spicy at first , plenty of fizz and no sreal sign of any oak at 50 years old, neither is it tired at 45%, good mouthfeel.
Taste wise you get the obligatory dark fruits, blackcurrant, dark raisins, dark fruit cake and hints of raspberry Jam and I suppose ig you said this was a succulent Jammy whisky that sums it up nicely.
Absolutely no clue that this is Talisker, it could be Mortlach or old Longmorn tasted blind.
It gets more resinous and spicy as you go on and the mouthfeel is excellent, no off notes , very good balance.

Finish
Lip smacking, lingering, a little sweet, substantial.

This is not Talsiker as I know it, what it is , is a perfect example of a fabulous sherry cask that even at 50 years old is not too tired or too oaky and for that this deserves high praise.
A great whisky, but is it better than my highest scoring Talisker the1991 20 year sherry, lets see?

Trying this against the 1981 20 year 62% OB when taken down to about 50%, it is difficult to pick a winner.
The Secret Stills is more succulent, and full bodied yet compared to this it is more one dimensional, probably because the 1981 has the peat/pepper/sherry combo in perfect harmony but both are outstanding malts in their own right of course.
So difficult what is better the vivacity of the 1981 or the elegance of the 1955, I cannot decide so this is down one point to 94 and I was going to award the Secret Stills equal but as there is no distinguishable Talsiker note, 93 is fair.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: