www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - James Eadie's Trade Mark X 45.6% 2017 blend

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
James Eadie's Trade Mark X 45.6% 2017 blend

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: James Eadie's Trade Mark X 45.6% 2017 blend Reply with quote

This is the latest blend purchased, decent value with this bottle.

Nose
A creamy, malty, syrupy sugar sweet nose for starters here.
Stewed white fruits, apple, plum, apricot, peach etc.
There is also a brioche pastry note which I really like, the notes of peach juice & syrup seem to increase.
After a few minutes I detect a very faint fresh paint note, not bad or anything but it is there.
Finally custard cream biscuits, could be just custard actually

Palate
My first impression is one of a good mouthfeel but a very slight metallic note which could explain the paint note on the nose.

There is plenty of fruit on the palate that the nose hinted of and it is really juicy over the tongue mixed with some spice and a little peat.

You can tell this is a blend as the cereal notes give it away but the mix and balance are really good, this tastes like 50% malt in the mix, certainly more than the usual 30-35%?
Plenty of sweet pastry in the mix like croissants and a very faint caramel note.
This is so creamy it is almost too creamy and syrupy, a thick chewy mouthfeel on this one.

Finish
Quite long, remaining sweet, full fat on the palate with a little more peat coming through on the tail.

This is definitely one for blend lovers, by that I mean it is light, creamy & fruity but with a creamy palate.
This bottle has just been opened, I do not think I could drink lots of this in one go as it is too thick and creamy but it is certainly enjoyable and what I like about it is the fact that there is a new twist on the blend concept, there are very few full fat blends like this on the market.
I tried a Bowmore Sherriff's earlier that goes for around £1700 at auction, I enjoyed this more and it cost £35.
There is hope out there, if you want complexity forget this, if you want an easy sipper to just sit back and enjoy, this is well worth the usual £45 price tag,
Edit
The creaminess in this reminds me very much of Annandale non peated new make.

hotshothamish
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to post these tasting notes, I took a chance on a bottle of this in Waitrose recently and am intrigued to try it
hotshothamish
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

Thanks for taking the time to post these tasting notes, I took a chance on a bottle of this in Waitrose recently and am intrigued to try it
hotshothamish
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotshothamish wrote:

Yes £35 after £10 is a good buy, I need to re taste this now its been open a while.
I would be interested in your thoughts also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: