www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Mortlach 1939 75 year 44.4% cask 2475 Generations G&M

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mortlach 1939 75 year 44.4% cask 2475 Generations G&M

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Mortlach 1939 75 year 44.4% cask 2475 Generations G&M Reply with quote

Nose
What I call elegant, for its age I was expecting more wood on the nose considering its age.
There is a mix of yellow plum, a little dark honey, mango, orange jelly (like what is in a Jaffa cake).
After 5 minutes in the glass some cake notes emerge and there is the mere faintest hint of peat smoke but you really have to look for it with a little more time hints of grapefruit and something like a dried green herb smell, not sure what, possibly dried sage??????
No off note, nice mix of flavours.

Palate
Creamy and really lively and not woody on first taste , can you believe that after 75 years.
The fruits and everything really are in the background with the cream angle at the front, there is a faint hint of pineapple, grapefruit & plum but they take time to come through.
Seems to get more fruit as the time passes and some sherbet fizz which I really like.
There is a fresh brioche note and some dried fruit peels
Gets slightly syrupy which is really good and more spice comes in but it is actually peat that you are tasting that has been lurking in the background all this time

Finish
Longer than expected, getting dry which is to be expected and more pastry notes on the tail with finally a slight bitterness from the wood but at this age I will not knock it down.

What is surprising here is how fresh it is at 75 years old, good balance on show here, this must have been a superb cask to last this long.
What I did not detect was any meaty notes that some old Mortlachs have but that is for the better in my view, this certainly shows that old Mortlachs that are not heavily sherried are better than the heavy meaty ones.
So this is what the oldest whisky ever bottled tastes like, hats off to G&M.

GregBurnett
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Licoln Imp. Based on all these whisky tastings, you must be very rich or work for G&M!

Haha, I am very jealous. Thanks for your notes.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregBurnett wrote:
Mr. Licoln Imp. Based on all these whisky tastings, you must be very rich or work for G&M!

Haha, I am very jealous. Thanks for your notes.

No neither, I live a modest lifestyle with a regular job but I am prepared to push the boat out in the interests of whisky research. Smile
A bunch of samples I had been lining up for some time but trying H2H gives you more perspective for sure.
You can get just as much enjoyment from whisky at a tiny fraction of the price of those old ones, trust me on that score.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: