www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Mortlach 1936 50 year 40% Decanter G&M

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mortlach 1936 50 year 40% Decanter G&M

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Mortlach 1936 50 year 40% Decanter G&M Reply with quote

Nose
Beautiful, a lovely sherry mixed with plenty of stewed dark fruits, dark jams, cedarwood and dare I say it a hint of the high end bourbon about it,
There is also a decent does of peat but it is the sherry that is the predominant flavour here, I also get hints of mulled wine, spices and the fruit that springs to mind is blackberry, of course there is some oak in there to and finally hints of menthol.

Palate
Is this really only 40%%
There is a huge blast of peat mixing in with the wood and sherry, there is a slight bitterness.
There is some smoked meat, pastry, watered down beef stock and then the fruit arrives overripe dark plum, a little fig, dark red apple skins (not the apple itself).
The sherry starts shouting and actually has a lot of character and there it is that bourbon note that I detected on the nose

Finish
Long for 40%, spicy with a hint of peat mixing with the sherry

The Sestante decanters are a different shape to the G&M decanters, not as bulky and importantly a thinner neck and stopper.
I have heard that this may be different to the book of Kells decanters, it tastes a little different to me but certainly similar and bottled at the same time so I thought it would be roughly the same.
Most of the Sestante decanters seem to lose less evaporation wise which must have something to do with the size of the neck and overall shape of the decanter, they always appear to have a better fill level.
Anyway this is excellent, cannot believe that this was in a cask for 50 year and there must be some OBE.

The above notes are from a few months ago but tried again tonight as follows:for H2H:-

I have just tried the 1939 75 year Mortlach G&M Generations bottle.
The nose of this 50 year, there is more of it but not as refined or elegant as the 75 year but profile wise there are definitely similarities, the 50 year is more pronounced.
More peat in the 50 year by a mile and much more spice with some meatiness in there and peat much less fruit in the 50 year compared to the 75year.
I need to evaluate my score on this one, down one point to 92.
A bruiser compared to the 75

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: