www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - 1938 G&M H2H X 3 Glenlossie, Macphail's & Mortlach

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
1938 G&M H2H X 3 Glenlossie, Macphail's & Mortlach

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: 1938 G&M H2H X 3 Glenlossie, Macphail's & Mortlach Reply with quote

Glenlossie 1938 43 year Connoisseurs Choice brown label
Macphail’s 1938 45 year The Dram Takers
Mortlach 1938/85 46/47 year Rare Old Highland Malt
All are 40% abv

Tasted in that order

Nose
Glenlossie 92
Quite vibrant & fruity with some old leather books notes and old furniture, stewed plum, fig & peach with some really nice breakfast marmalade.

Macphails (Macallan) 91
More sherried than the Glenlossie with some great dark berry notes and mulled wine spices and some bubble gum notes in the back ground.

Mortlach 90
This is much more earthy & vegetal than the other two, slightly musty all on old dark polished wood, damp soil, like smelling a forest after rainfall, after a minute or some fruits arrive. More industrial this one is, not refined.
For me I nosed in the right order, all are good but I like the lighter Glenlossie best.

Palate

Lossie 94
Nice mouthfeel yet slightly thin but the interplay of sherry fruit and a hint of peat is really good with the added dimension of a little ginger spice really adding to the overall effect. It gets a little creamy and seems to become more viscous over the tongue so not thin after all.
Superb flavour, so elegant

Macphail’s 93
This is more vibrant and more spicy than the Glenlossie and actually feels more like 45-46% than 40%. Lots of red fruit, nice sherry influence, very faint hints of peat but dare I say it slightly rough when compared to the Glenlossie,

Mortlach 88
This is completely different, almost dirty in its mouthfeel and probably the finest example of a really meaty old Mortlach (if you like that sort of thing)?
I am not kidding, but sliced beef is the first thing I thought of taste wise, all the earthy & vegetal indicators on the nose are on the palate, cold tea, pepper, peat, seems to grow in power and a massive blast of spice.
Trust me this is an acquired taste, old, old old, that is all I can say, this is dirty Mortlach.
Compared to the other two this is rougher.

Finish

Lossie 90
Creamy, spicy with a little caramel creeping in, excellent balance just fading slightly, higher abv needed here.

Macphail’s 93
Nice balance, remaining spicy with a blast a of peat mixing with the fruit, good medium length

Mortlach 87
A real burnt note comes in on the finish, is it sulphur, not sure, coffee also evident, fades a little

Difficult to seperate the Glenlossie from the Macphail's I really like the palate of the Lossie but overall the Macphail.s just edges it for me.
The Mortlach was a fair bit behind in all departments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: