www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Game of Thrones - Page 6

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Game of Thrones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave h
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, draw your own conclusions of deception, dishonest, scam 👍 quote from your link
"A dishonest or illegal plan or activity,esp. one for making money"

Turpin
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arqueturus wrote:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/scam

It's not a scam. It is markettiing.
Totally agree, it is very good marketing which was aimed at fans of the tv show who where obviously quite happy to pay the price and clearly it must be the fans of the show who are paying the high secondary market prices for the bottles. not whisky drinkers.

I have grabbed a Talisker Select Reserve as I do like Talisker and I don't mind a few extra pound to try a limited release which by all accounts I have read including Williams on here is worth trying.
arqueturus
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave h wrote:
Thanks for the link, draw your own conclusions of deception, dishonest, scam 👍 quote from your link
"A dishonest or illegal plan or activity,esp. one for making money"

Nothing dishonest about it - each Whisky states what it is on the packaging. Whether or not it's worth what they ask for is entirely anther matter.

See: Cars with a unique paint job sold as a special edition.

Me, I'm not a fan of the show so I don't care but If I was I think I would be interested in collecting them.
whisky man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this game of thrones set is highly collectible as my expert has told me anyone want to guess who my whisky expert is he advises me of all whiskies to buy that will make money in the future
eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one can yet judge the medium to long term investment potential of this set. Why? Because no-one knows the extent of Diageo's production (either now or in the future). Given the set's "success", what is to stop them churning out more bottles on demand?

Last edited by eelbrook on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scotchnthings
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whisky man wrote:
this game of thrones set is highly collectible as my expert has told me anyone want to guess who my whisky expert is he advises me of all whiskies to buy that will make money in the future

I hope you also like drinking what your expert tells you to buy, because this could turn into a sh*tshow Very Happy.

eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of self-appointed whisky and whisky investment "experts" out there. In my experience, they know nothing more than the rest of us. Often a lot, lot less.
arqueturus
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I have no issue with these personally, I don't think they're particularily collectable - I'm positive the numbers are too high.

If I'm Diageo I'm thinking, how can I sell more of the standard expressions I have but for more profit? This is pretty much the answer.
eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a very, very short-term investment, this set may be OK (there are always a few auction buyers with more money than sense). As a medium to long-term investment though, I think it'll crash and burn. So, I would rather invest in 'class' whisky.
AB53Coo
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought these, as a fan of the show and of the drink Smile i'll store them away for a bit, and at £40-60 quid range wont feel too upset if i decide to crack them open and drink them further down the line
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eelbrook wrote:
There are a lot of self-appointed whisky and whisky investment "experts" out there. In my experience, they know nothing more than the rest of us. Often a lot, lot less.

Absolutely spot on eelbrook, you do not have to be an expert to know that 95% of whisky purchased now will probably be worth more in 5 years time do you?
dramblersanonymous
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite an entertaining thread! The 'deception' bit is particularly amusing.

If I buy a pencil, it might cost 20p. If I buy the same pencil with a picture of a Frozen character on it, it probably costs at least 50p. Quite simple. Marketed at my 4yro daughter who likes Frozen. I get ripped off. But my daughter is quite happy! I dont see the problem.

Regarding collectability, the recent comments are spot on. Whisky investment 'experts' are a strange bunch. In my opinion, if something is delicious it gets drunk, if it is in limited supply the supply continues to get smaller. Therefore the price increases. If it is not delicious, or too expensive to determine that yourself (or the opinion of your 'expert') then you are speculating on something else. Which is more risky. And a bit daft in many cases.

Regarding these bottles, the GoT fan base is huge! So people will buy them. Especially as they are all pretty cheap. Many people won't even care about the liquid. They just want the bottle on the shelf with their figurines and stuff.

I for one am looking forward to trying a couple of the new bottlings. The Laga 9 for sure. They are also considerably cheaper in the airports...

Scotchnthings
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbe wrote:
19 sets on Just-Whisky auction. Can't wait to see the numbers on the bigger sites.

35-ish on whiskyhammer ...
unblended
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres been a few on gumtree they have been taken off the site
but you will allways get a trier somebody trying to sell just the tubes For £ 750.00
funnily when he tried to sell them earlier the bottles were availiable with them no photos though but you can contact him ??

Rolling Eyes
Scotchnthings
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they are quite funny, this one of empty tubes has a starting bid of only $1600, it even includes and empty bottle of the white walker. And here I am working my * off, while I could just be getting wasted on whisky and selling empty tubes Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: