www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Best Auction Site(s) for Single Malts

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Best Auction Site(s) for Single Malts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scranmerchant
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Best Auction Site(s) for Single Malts Reply with quote

Hi folks. Very quick one. I’ve bought plenty from various auction sites but just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on which is the best to sell through. I know each experience will be different and will depend upon bidders ultimately, but wondering which has the largest circulation and which do you think you can maximise your value? I’m toying with selling. Thanks.

DanO
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use scotchwhiskyauctions.com my experience is mainly buying but I have sold a few bottles and I can happily recommend them.
Uncle Bobby
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWA are highly professional but I've been disappointed with recent values achieved.
I think there are so many bottles in their auctions nowadays that buyers are disinclined to plough through the listings. And of course if there are multiple listings of a particular bottle, prices are bound to be depressed.
webdunk
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used both Scotch Whisky Auctions and Whisky Auctioneer. Values vary between sites so worth checking recent performance of your bottles if possible.

Commission also varies between sites which is a factor especially on higher value bottles.

If you must have a reserve then my preference is Whisky Auctioneer as they don't publish it. The published reserve such as on Scotch Whisky Auctions can prevent bidding or mean a last minute bid at reserve takes the lot.
eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisky Auctioneer every time. Very slick in all respects.

Scotch Whisky Auctions has become a victim of its own success. Almost industrial. Nothing like the old days when Bill and Tam started it. Also, there are just too many bottles of each expression.
Forbes
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisky Auctioneer gets my vote.

davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Bobby wrote:
SWA are highly professional but I've been disappointed with recent values achieved.
I think there are so many bottles in their auctions nowadays that buyers are disinclined to plough through the listings. And of course if there are multiple listings of a particular bottle, prices are bound to be depressed.

SWA's issue is that Whisky Auctioneer runs the same week and finishes a day later, meaning anyone bidding on a bottle on SWA that's also on WA can give up at a lower price and bid on the WA bottle.

This pattern seems pretty consistent, and will continue with all the other auctions popping up. Is there a week where there isn't one running..?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: