www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Last Xmas Irish 26

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Last Xmas Irish 26

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Last Xmas Irish 26 Reply with quote

Just watched a YouTube review of the 26 Irish single malt from aldi , well in a bit in shock of how these two muppets totally hated it, there notes of it was nowhere near of my experience of it, the only thing I agreed with was the pineapple note, most who did try it on here did enjoy I believe, anyway check it out and see what you think.

Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No link? Am I supposed to type "Aldi Irish 26 muppets review" as keywords? Very Happy
Kray
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now picturing Statler and Waldorf from the muppets reviewing the whisky Very Happy
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha funny,, but yes why not 🤪
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might guess at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPY6JhIrB2o
arqueturus
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Last Xmas Irish 26 Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:
Just watched a YouTube review of the 26 Irish single malt from aldi , well in a bit in shock of how these two muppets totally hated it, there notes of it was nowhere near of my experience of it, the only thing I agreed with was the pineapple note, most who did try it on here did enjoy I believe, anyway check it out and see what you think.

I really didn't like it and was hugely disappointed because of the positives it was garnering. I did get the petrol note that was mentioned so it's probably quite a similar experience to mine.

However, in no way did I think that it was a bad or awful whiskey, just one that wasn't suited to my pallete - I've tried a few irish whiskeys and none of them I've really taken too other than Redbreast 12.

lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question you need to ask is what would a 26 year Bushmills OB cost you because this is a Bushmills, you can tell by the profile.

I think that if they had let it breath for a little time they would see some improvements.

I liked it, a little thin perhaps and not complex but I would not be disappointed if I got it at a present. I bought a bottle and gave other people who know more about whisky than these two, many scoresfor this are between 85-88 points.
Who takes notes when a bottle has just been opened anyway, the only thing missing from this video was a couple of kebabs
Very Happy

I thought it was good value, an easy sipper with some nice fruit notes , possibly a little bitterness hampers it, reminded me of some older grains.
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it’s worth I thought it might be a bushmills (although given its age from memory it could only be 3 distilleries). Took some time to get there though. A great expression of Irish whiskey but tempered by its weak mouthfeel. 85 would be near a top score I’d give it - it doesn’t take water and needs time in the glass.
havaska
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put this down as a Bushmills too. As said, it could only be one of three distilleries.

Also, given how the pound has taken a battering against the euro due to Brexit, sourcing it from the UK would significantly help their margins. So to me, this all points to Bushmills.

It's a shame it was only 40% as a bit more percentage would really have helped it.

Let's see what they've got for this year, still nothing announced! Last year we got a single grain too (aping Haig Club) so I'm hoping for a nice bourbon too this year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: