www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Macallan Genesis

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Macallan Genesis
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Bobby
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Macallan Genesis Reply with quote

Macallan Genesis went on sale at the distillery this morning. Thought I'd take a run up albeit with low expectations of getting a bottle.
Expectations diminished further when approaching the junction of the A95 and the road up to the Macallan where many vehicles were already parked on the grass verges and a number of police cars in attendance.
Managed to get a parking space just off the A95 and decided to walk the mile or so the distillery as no cars were being allowed up the Macallan road. On approaching the Macallan entrance I found dozens of cars, vans, taxis and minibuses already parked up and more police cars ensuring order and keeping the road clear for the numerous HGV's which use the road. Also lots of people on foot and a few bicycles.
Private security then announced that only motor vehicles would be allowed on site when the gates opened, supposedly at 9.30am so all the people who had walked up had to trudge back to their cars.
About 9.20am traffic started to move up towards the distillery but whilst queuing on the road a police car came down telling everyone that the bottles were sold out.
So all in all another total shambles from Macallan. Rumours were abounding of only 360 bottles being sold today and there just have been about 300-400 cars there, many with four passengers. Going by the accents I heard, many had travelled quite a distance only to be disappointed. Can't imagine Police Scotland would have been too enamoured with the arrangements either.
I can only think that those who were first in the queue received a ticket or voucher as alcohol can't be sold in Scotland before 10.00am.
Macallan always comes in for much criticism of their arrangements for seliing new limited edition releases from the distillery but I think today took the biscuit. It really is about time they radically revamped their release policy, whether they ballot all new releases or some other fair and equitable system.
Then again, they say there's no such thing as bad publicity!

Brummie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it was a shambles and Police Scotland should be billing them for the costs of policing it. I would say a ballot system is the best way to launch these bottlings.
GM70047
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greed on both parts.

A number of bottles already going for 2/3 times as much online.
Uncle Bobby
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM70047 wrote:
Greed on both parts.

A number of bottles already going for 2/3 times as much online.

Really? I would number them and if your number appears at auction you would go on a banned list.
Did Diageo not do this due to problems with re-sale of Managers Drams?
webdunk
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Bobby wrote:

I think that was to stop staff reselling rather than members of the public?

Uncle Bobby
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webdunk wrote:
Uncle Bobby wrote:

I think that was to stop staff reselling rather than members of the public?

Yes, sorry I should have been more specific.
Buncie
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Macallan Genesis Reply with quote

Uncle Bobby wrote:
Macallan Genesis went on sale at the distillery this morning. Thought I'd take a run up albeit with low expectations of getting a bottle.
Expectations diminished further when approaching the junction of the A95 and the road up to the Macallan where many vehicles were already parked on the grass verges and a number of police cars in attendance.
Managed to get a parking space just off the A95 and decided to walk the mile or so the distillery as no cars were being allowed up the Macallan road. On approaching the Macallan entrance I found dozens of cars, vans, taxis and minibuses already parked up and more police cars ensuring order and keeping the road clear for the numerous HGV's which use the road. Also lots of people on foot and a few bicycles.
Private security then announced that only motor vehicles would be allowed on site when the gates opened, supposedly at 9.30am so all the people who had walked up had to trudge back to their cars.
About 9.20am traffic started to move up towards the distillery but whilst queuing on the road a police car came down telling everyone that the bottles were sold out.
So all in all another total shambles from Macallan. Rumours were abounding of only 360 bottles being sold today and there just have been about 300-400 cars there, many with four passengers. Going by the accents I heard, many had travelled quite a distance only to be disappointed. Can't imagine Police Scotland would have been too enamoured with the arrangements either.
I can only think that those who were first in the queue received a ticket or voucher as alcohol can't be sold in Scotland before 10.00am.
Macallan always comes in for much criticism of their arrangements for seliing new limited edition releases from the distillery but I think today took the biscuit. It really is about time they radically revamped their release policy, whether they ballot all new releases or some other fair and equitable system.
Then again, they say there's no such thing as bad publicity!

Totally agree with your summary of today's events, I was also there and was shocked at the poor management of this event. About 300 mile round tip wasted. Why so few bottles available at the distillery. So disappointed.
Grant M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will always being disappointed whisky fans whatever way they choose to launch bottling's like the Macallan Genesis but at least with a ballot system you don't need to go to a lot of effort, time and expense to get to the distillery only to be disappointed and a ballot system would give folks like myself a chance of getting hold of a bottle although I haven't had much luck to date in the Highland Park ballots.
eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who were disappointed could always buy a "Crabbie 30yo" for the same price.

A thirty year old sherried Macallan. Great reviews, great presentation.
Scotchmaltman
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eelbrook wrote:
Those who were disappointed could always buy a "Crabbie 30yo" for the same price.

A thirty year old sherried Macallan. Great reviews, great presentation.

I would wholeheartedly agree however lots of those who were disappointed and are grumbling weren't exactly going to drink the stuff anyway...

unblended
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: macallan genesis Reply with quote

dont worry if you didnt get one there is one on ebay for £ 3000.00 with a starting bid at
£ 2000.00 so very little mark up
Rolling Eyes
any one know what is in the bottle by any chance

richard
Forbes
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at it on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Macallan-Genesis-Whisky-2018-1-Of-2500/192627930352?hash=item2cd984f4f0:g:Jb4AAOSwvGpbcrB7#shpCntId

Not that I was tempted
Scotchmaltman
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: macallan genesis Reply with quote

unblended wrote:
dont worry if you didnt get one there is one on ebay for £ 3000.00 with a starting bid at
£ 2000.00 so very little mark up
Rolling Eyes
any one know what is in the bottle by any chance

richard

As for the liquid - probably nothing special. Macallan could bottle anything and it would go for fortunes. Greedy....but in the current market who can blame them. Putting 2018 on their 25yo and 30yo this year is just another sign of it. Whisky designed for flippers with a price to match. And anyone who has tasted the Macallan 25 recently will know that the Glenfarclas 25, available for a fraction of the price, completely blows it out of the water. But I think that's just the whole problem. No-one cares about what's inside the bottle because very few people are drinking this stuff anyway, and a lot of those who do are so absorbed in the Macallan PR machine and the price of the bottle that they claim it's delicious anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I buy some bottles to sell and some bottles to drink. That's just the reality of it nowadays. Don't hate the player hate the game and all that but it is frustrating when people who clearly don't have a slightest idea about what they are buying get hold of this stuff at the cost of those who truly appreciate it purely to make a quick buck. Whisky to them probably means JD & Coke on the rocks (no offence to anyone who drinks that haha). All we can hope is that their bottles get scratched, opened, labels stained etc so they become worthless to any punter and can be opened for the enjoyment and education of others.

As for this one up on ebay, I believe this quote from the description says it all about the kinds of people who are getting their hands on it and flipping just a day later: "Purchases this morning from the macallan distillery in Scotland, this beautiful whiskey needs no introduction"

Make of that what you will...
eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, the "2018" branded 25yo and 30yo were much more expensive at retail than the previous year's expressions. But that difference hasn't really been reflected at auction.
unblended
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: macallan genesis Reply with quote

its sold for £ 3000.00 buy it now

richard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: