www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Scallywag 10 Year Old

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Scallywag 10 Year Old

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Scallywag 10 Year Old Reply with quote

Douglas Laing continue their 70th Anniversary year celebrations with the launch of Scallywag 10 Year Old Limited Edition.

More info here:

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/scallywag10yearold.htm

Whisky Chaser
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NAS Scallywag is a decent enough blended malt which was IMO expensive for an indie blended malt of its quality. It makes me think can this 10 year old version really be worth £50 as there are some superb Speyside whiskies around for that price. I may be wrong and it may be a superb mix of Macallan, Glenfarclas and the Balvenie but I doubt it..

On a side note I tried to look up Scallywag in Jim Murrays Whisky Bible 2018 to read what he thought of the NAS but no sign of it in fact most of the Douglas Laing regional malts are missing except Big Peat. Perhaps they don't send him samples now, which appears to be becoming a popular marketing technique, not to have your whisky reviewed by knowledgeable commentators.
Dave h
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im an avid fan of Douglas Laing in recent years, but their pricing of some new bottles is simple greed. £50 for a ten year old blend, an extra £5 buys you Chivas Regal 18.

A bottle I bought for £90 only last year now on sale on their website for £120! They also sold their XOP Platinum 70th Ardbeg 25 year old on their website £300 above RRP wirhin a couple of weeks it being released. Guess someobe has to fund their new distillery adventure?

Ill not be buying this.
Innes
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With exception to Big Peat which was the first in the regional malts range from Douglas Laing I always felt the others were aimed very much at the gift buying market although they are all good whiskies the packaging and pricing is for the gift buyer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: