www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Which bottle to start my collection

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Which bottle to start my collection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Odochartaigh
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Which bottle to start my collection Reply with quote

Hi guys I have decided to start my whiskey collection and have been watching with lots of interest all Ralfy's amazing reviews. However, when ever I see a bottle that I'm interested in and go to look it up it is generally sold out or ££££'s of pounds.

So I guess my question is how do I get ahead of the curve and buy a really good bottle before every man and his dog get it??

Any suggestions would be really welcomed

Many Thanks,
Liam.

RN Rob
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liam, will your whisky collection be for drinking now or in the future or will it be an investment?
Odochartaigh
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RN Rob wrote:
Hi Liam, will your whisky collection be for drinking now or in the future or will it be an investment?

Hi Rob, in truth it will be both. I would like to buy a bottle to enjoy now with my aging dad and also have a bottle to keep for the future as either an investment or to enjoy with my son when he turns the legal age.
Genuine Risk
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of your location but if you have any good local independent whisky shops near you starting buying all your whisky through them and ask them to keep an eye out for whatever you are interested in.

There was a point when I spent a stupid amount of money on whisky and the local shop would keep me just about anything I wanted, it's amazing how many bottles never make it to the shelf.
Whisky Rogue
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep a look out on here for announcements of new releases, usually the whisky hasn't yet made it to the shelves of the whisky shops when announcements are made. Stick to buying whiskies you would drink yourself and that way if they don't turn you a good profit you will have a whisky to drink which you should like.
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget? What kind of returns are you looking for and over what period of time (or how much are you prepared to lose?). These factors (and others) will then start determining what you should be looking for.

Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few words of general advice on the matter at hand that you raise. Select whiskies within the taste profile range you enjoy most and look for limited release bottles or small batch offerings from those distilleries bearing in mind they don't have to be super expensive. Get 2 bottles, one to drink and one to save which appears to be your intention. Good luck.
Odochartaigh
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWM wrote:
Budget? What kind of returns are you looking for and over what period of time (or how much are you prepared to lose?). These factors (and others) will then start determining what you should be looking for.

Thank you for your reply, I guess my budget is maximum £300 for two bottles over a three month period, obviously, I would not want to always be spending that sort of money but that is what I am willing to lose.

I am prepared to wait for many years, this really is a hobby right now, I do want a special bottle to open with my son in 15 years time plus I have another one on the way so I guess another special bottle to open in 18 years time, but other than those I can wait 30+ years.

in terms of returns I have no fixed figure, it will not be my retirement plan just a few extra bob to pay for maybe some golf membership in my old age.

I have been trying small samplings from different areas trying to figure out my taste profile, I am very much a Speyside/Highland fan.
Odochartaigh
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quaich1 wrote:
A few words of general advice on the matter at hand that you raise. Select whiskies within the taste profile range you enjoy most and look for limited release bottles or small batch offerings from those distilleries bearing in mind they don't have to be super expensive. Get 2 bottles, one to drink and one to save which appears to be your intention. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply, I have been having lots of fun finding out what my taste profile is, some of the samplings have been really nice and others I cared less for.

The plan is most certainly to buy within my taste profile because if nothing else i will have a really nice drinkable whisky in many years time. I like your idea of getting small batch offerings I guess if it is a good batch it will be in demand. I do plan on getting at least two bottles one to enjoy now and one to keep to enjoy later or have as an investment.
Odochartaigh
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisky Rogue wrote:
Keep a look out on here for announcements of new releases, usually the whisky hasn't yet made it to the shelves of the whisky shops when announcements are made. Stick to buying whiskies you would drink yourself and that way if they don't turn you a good profit you will have a whisky to drink which you should like.

Thank you for your reply, I will keep a close eye out for announcements on here I have also been checking the masters of malt website for their new in section.
Odochartaigh
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuine Risk wrote:
I'm not sure of your location but if you have any good local independent whisky shops near you starting buying all your whisky through them and ask them to keep an eye out for whatever you are interested in.

There was a point when I spent a stupid amount of money on whisky and the local shop would keep me just about anything I wanted, it's amazing how many bottles never make it to the shelf.

I am based on the outskirts of London but I do be in London several times a week so I'm sure there must be a few good outlets that I could spark a good relationship with.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Uncle Bobby
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 25 year old Pittyvaich from Kosher Wines in London recently for £200.
Auction pricebis around £200 -£250.
Closed distillery, own bottling and limited numbers.
Reckon its a good investment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: