www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Redbreast Dream Cask

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Redbreast Dream Cask

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Redbreast Dream Cask Reply with quote

On Saturday evening, May 20th, I had the pleasure of taking part in a special World Whisky Day Facebook Live whisky tasting which was hosted by Midleton/Redbreast Head Blender Billy Leighton and his Apprentice Blender Dave McCabe.

The tasting was of a unlabelled sample of Redbreast which had been taken direct from a maturing barrel in a warehouse at the Midleton distillery.

The sample turned out to be a stunning, deliciously juicy, fruity, complex mature Redbreast pot still whisky. It was over 31 years old, it had spent 25 years in a bourbon barrel then it was re-casked into a Oloroso sherry cask for a further 6 years where it still remains.

You can watch the video of the tasting here:

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/redbreastdreamcaskreview.htm

I asked Billy Leighton near the end of the live tasting what they intended doing with the cask, see 20 min 35 secs into the video for Billi's answer.

The Dream Cask was originally part of the stock destined for the Redbreast 21 year old, after being re-casked it is now part of Redbreasts sherry cask stock and could still end up in a vatting of whiskey for the core range such as the Redbreast 21, but we could influence that by asking for it to be bottled for the Redbreast website members club The Birdhouse. Watch the video for details.

Crane
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the price on a 31 year old Redbreast would be, sounds amazing though.
Grant M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the video again William, it sounds like a cracking whiskey. I am a huge fan of Redbreast as you know and I would certainly be interested in a bottle if the price was right..
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from the World Whisky Day tasting of a cask sample of the Redbreast Dream Cask last year which I had the pleasure of being part of, Irish Distillers have announced that they will launch the stunning first-fill Oloroso sherry cask finished Redbreast Dream Cask, which is now 32 year old, on World Whisky Day 2018.

It will be available to buy through Redbreasts online members’ club, The Birdhouse, from World Whisky Day Saturday 19th May 2018.

More info and my review of the Redbreast Dream Cask here:

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/redbreastdreamcast32yearold.htm
DanO
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tempting for the collection, they could have bottled it in a full size bottle though.

Grant M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price is pretty much as I would have expected to be, not happy about the 50cl bottle size but still cant resist, this one will be tucked away for a special occasion I think.
Kray
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant M wrote:
The price is pretty much as I would have expected to be, not happy about the 50cl bottle size but still cant resist, this one will be tucked away for a special occasion I think.
Out of interest would you had paid more for a standard 70cl bottle?
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am dramming the new Redbreast Dream Cask 32 year old this afternoon, it has just been launched today as part of the World Whisky Day celebrations and it is better than I remember it last year, it really is a stunning mature sherried pot still whiskey, I highly recommend it if your pockets are deep enough.
Grant M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kray wrote:
Grant M wrote:
Out of interest would you had paid more for a standard 70cl bottle?
There is only a few brands I would pay this amount for and yes I would have paid a little more for a full size bottle.

Cheers William, that's good to know as my wife is getting me a bottle, although I suspect she may be wanting something in return.

I haven't had a World Whisky Day drink yet as I had to drive today but will be having a few later tonight. Cheers
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant I hope your wife got hold of a bottle for you as I was told that all 816 bottles sold out in around 6 hours on Saturday http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/redbreast32fliesoffshelf.htm

Enjoy if you did as it really is outstanding.

Whisky Chaser
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some going to shift 816 bottles in 6 hours at €500 a bottle. I wonder what we may see them reselling for in the secondary market and will these future Redbreast limited releases be considered collectable and an investment in the way some limited releases from brands such as the Macallan has.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Irish Whiskey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: