www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - The Head to head thread for blended whisky tastings (H2H)

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Head to head thread for blended whisky tastings (H2H)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: The Head to head thread for blended whisky tastings (H2H) Reply with quote

I thought it was about time there was a thread on here for blends so to get ut started here is one I did a couple of weeks ago.

Ok Old blends tonight, all 70 proof. All I can say is that the UK adopted the abv system on 1st January 1980, so all of these blends are older than that.
The directive in the EU for this came in I believe in 1973 but it looks like the UK was later so all pre 19801 to be on the safe side/
Tonight`s whisky:-
JW Red
John Barr
Old Troon
Clan Blend
Something Special
Cluny
Avonside

Let battle commence
Results
JW red – Quite nice, pleasantly sweet, full on the palate, a real surprise.
John Barr – Hardly any nose to speak of apart from a little honey, a little sharp and a little bitter at first, the bitter fades to reveal honeycomb and icing sugar, gets better with time, much better.
Old Troon – Smells like an old blend, some vanilla, wafer, and cream, usually when they smell like this they are not good. I was right, disgusting it’s like washing up liquid, as bad as the totally disgusting Edradour 1971 Moon Import. Yuk
Clan Blend – Nose has pineapple but mainly grapefruit, The palate is a little bitter to start with but improves on honey, slight grapefruit, light sponge cake and biscuit, touches of lemon, Give it time its pretty reasonable.
Something Special – The nose is pretty light and does not give much away just hints of sweetness, thankfully the palate is fine, sweet & creamy on plum & peach with some syrup and honey, a hint of bitterness remains but its ok
Cluny – Nicely honeyed, with some apricot, then a wave of vanilla and cream with sponge cake, basically it is light & sweet. The sweetness remains on the palate as does the vanilla and honey, this is your classic 70`s blend, light, sweet and you could drink a lot of it.
Avonside- This has a decent nose and is full fat on the palate, creamy with honey, slight milk chocolate and wafer. There is just a slight bitterness that does not let the sweetness take off.What I call a drinkers blend. I am a big fan of the Jas Gordon Avonside 8 year 100 proof and I like this 70 proof version also.
Ist - Avonside
2nd - Cluny
3rd  JW Red 
4th  Something Special
5th Clan Blend
6th John Barr
7th Old Troon-Disgusting 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: