www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Ballantine's Scotch Whisky Unknown Age

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ballantine's Scotch Whisky Unknown Age

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Collectables & Whisky Auction Listings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyJumbo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Ballantine's Scotch Whisky Unknown Age Reply with quote

Hello i have found in an old villa in Milan an old looking bottle of Whisky Scotch Ballantine's. I would like to know the age of the bottle if anyone how has a bit a experience and would give my some sort of estimation or way to find out it would be very helpful. I was thinking of selling it since i don't drink scotch whisky so advice would be nice! I have taken lots of picture of the bottle and the box in which it is stored.

William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The style of the bottle cap and label suggest 1970s

Having said that the bottle size on the label says it was bottled later than the 1970s.

In the UK up until 1980 standard size bottles were 26 2/3 flozs, they then changed to 750ml in 1980. About 1991/1992 the EEC (or EU as they call it now) changed the standard size from 750ml to 700ml.

In 1980 we also moved from the old Sikes system of measuring the proof strength of spirits to the current OIML system which measures alcoholic strength as a Percentage of Alcohol by Volume (%ABV)

The bottle label does seem to be a bit of a mix of styles from different era's but I would guess this is perhaps a bottling from the early 1980's

These bottles do not tend to fetch a great deal at auction here is an example here https://www.whiskyauctioneer.com/lot/025826/ballantines-finest-1970s
JimmyJumbo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you a lot for the answer. I appreciate it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Collectables & Whisky Auction Listings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: