www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Kennedy jug unusual decoration

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Kennedy jug unusual decoration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Collectables & Whisky Auction Listings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Essexgirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Kennedy jug unusual decoration Reply with quote

I recently came across this jug and wondered if anyone here had an idea about the decoration. Painted or something stuck on? Was it done by the owner or the company before selling? Would this jug be of value as thinking putting it on eBay. I have photographed a couple of the pics on it, there are more of different things Many thanks. [/url

]

Kray
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empty jugs/flagons don't tend to fetch much, you can sometimes get a few pound from a jug that may have contained a rare interesting whisky and the value will be seriously effected by the condition of the jug.

It is difficult to comment from the small images of your jug but it doesn't look familiar to me. I can make out the word Glasgow from the stamp on the bottom of the jug, what else does it say on the stamp and is there any other writing on the jug?
Essexgirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It says. H.Kennedy and there is 1. In the middle. That's all apart from Glasgow
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H Kennedy, Barrowfield Pottery, Glasgow was the maker of the your flagon, they were a Glasgow pottery company who produced stone ware flagons, jugs and bottles.

Barrowfield potteries were located in the East End of Glasgow, they produced whisky stoneware flagons, ginger beer bottles etcs, from the 1880s as the product was in high demand at that time. The potteries were hit hard by WWI and the perception of glass being a more sanitary container lead to their decline. Barrowfield was closed in 1925.

The artistry on their flagons often depicted something, for example I have seen a H Kennedy, Barrowfield Pottery flagon depicting Rabbie Burns Auld Lang Syne. I believe they also produced flagons for specific whiskies both Scotch and Irish, the name of the whisky would have been on the flagon.

Obviously a flagon is more valuable if it has the original stopper and it is in good condition. If you could figure out what the images on your flagon are depicting it may add to it value but your images will need to be better quality for anyone to help you with that.
Essexgirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot make out the story it seems to involve a pig and someone stealing it lol[/img]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Collectables & Whisky Auction Listings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: