www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Fill your own bottles in Islay distilleries?

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Fill your own bottles in Islay distilleries?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Fill your own bottles in Islay distilleries? Reply with quote

Hi..
Am going to Islay in a couple of months and wondered if anyone could advise which distilleries have a fill your own bottle available from thier shops?
I have done some research and only found reference to this at Laphroaig ( whiich I will go to as member of their little club! ) and Bruichladdich. Any up to date details would be much appreciated. Cheers.. Tim.

Timp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well.. will have to go to them all to find out for myself Very Happy
RageN17
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame nobody got back to you Timp.

I just got back from Islay - so for anyone else still wondering, I found the following did a 'bottle your own'.

Laphroaig - on the warehouse experience, a 250ml bottle of one of three casks - 2 different Bourbons or a PX if I remember correctly.

Bowmore - could bottle your own 50cl. Only a choice of one, they were just bringing out a red wine cask after finishing a PX cask.

Bruichladdich - 50cl, two options in the shop, one bruichladdich bourbon cask and one port charlotte sauternes cask (may have got those the wrong way round)

Those were the only ones I came across but all distilleries offered bottles you could only get if you were there. Kilchoman were selling a sauternes single cask bottle at cask strength which I think is fantastic.

Hope this helps someone!
Timp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the update RageN17..

Did you get any of the ones you mentioned? That Kilchoman bottling sounds lovely.

Only had a distillery exclusive of a sherry finished cask strength bottle when I was there but its the best 4 year old whisky I have ever had.
RageN17
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Laphroaig PX cask which is very nice. Didn't get the Bowmore as I must admit it is not my favourite. Both the ones on offer from Bruichladdich I found to be quite harsh, the sauternes cask PC was good but I had tried the Kilchoman one the day before and it didn't come close to it. If you can find one of them online anywhere I would recommend giving it a shot!

Kilchoman surprised me - even though you had to pay for samples where you didn't elsewhere, it was definitely worth it. They have just released the 100% Islay 7th edition which I will certainly be picking up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: