www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - The QMU Whisky Club Festival - Fri 27th Jan 2017 - Glasgow

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The QMU Whisky Club Festival - Fri 27th Jan 2017 - Glasgow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krakow
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: The QMU Whisky Club Festival - Fri 27th Jan 2017 - Glasgow Reply with quote

I'm not affiliated with the club or the event at all, but I've bought a ticket and will be heading along to this at the Queen Margaret Union at Glasgow University on Friday to give it a go. Not sure what it will be like, but sounds like it could be fun...

https://www.facebook.com/events/235997863498348/

Apparently there should be around 50 bottles and those they've teased so far include...

Tomitoul-Glenlivet 1967 18 year old bottled 1985
Talisker 30
Balvenie 21 Portwood
Glenlivet Gallow 16 yo
Glenlivet Old Campdalmore Single Cask
Glenlivet Old Conglass 14yo
Glenlivet Inverblyth 18yo Single Cask
Glenlivet 16yo Ladder Foot Single Cask

The bigger whisky festivals often seem to be on Saturday daytimes in Glasgow and I can't remember the last time I had a Saturday off, so I was pleased to see this on a Friday night, even if I do have work the next day!

William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great event, unfortunately I already have plans for nest Friday. £14 for an advance ticket which includes 12 samples is very good considering they say over 50% of the whisky to be tasted will be worth over £100
krakow
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it definitely seems good for me personally. I've not strayed too much beyond entry level expressions from some of the major players yet, so getting an easy chance to sample outside my norm will be excellent, especially for a mere £15.

Just hoping I don't feel too old, it's been a decent few years since I was a student there and that was as a postgrad even!
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krakow, looks like a neat line-up. I'll be interested to hear about your favorites. I've never tried the Glenlivet Gallow 16 but it sounds interesting at 51.8% ABV. Good luck!
krakow
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't promise detailed tasting notes, but I'll definitely report back on how it all goes.
krakow
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This event was excellent, I really enjoyed it! Seemed to be a roaring success for them as well. I'll try to get a chance to say a bit more over the weekend or early next week.

krakow
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the whiskies I sampled were...

• Arran Robert Burns (complimentary opening sample)
  • Glenlivet 16 Year Old Ladderfoot Single Cask 58.6%
  • Glenlivet 19 Year Old Campdalemore Single Cask 58.1%
  • Glenlivet 14 Year Old Conglass Single Cask 59.8%
  • Glenlivet Nadurra Peated Cask Strength 61.5%
  • Glengoyne 15
  • Old Pulteney 17
  • Bowmore 18
  • Auchentoshan 18
  • Balvenie 17 Doublewood
  • Bruichladdich Octomore 07.1
  • Bruichladdich 23 Year Old That Boutique-y Whisky Company
  • Ben Nevis 19 Year Old 1996 Master Of Malt Single Cask 50.6%

Don't ask me for tasting notes, sorry, all I can say is that I enjoyed every single one and felt quite pleased with my choices! They had received a number of Glenlivet bottles from Chivas, hence the large number of those (there were more I didn't try).

As I say, the event was sold out and felt very busy on the night. They could have done with a slightly bigger space given the numbers that came in the end. Nonetheless I thought it was generally well organised and all went smoothly and the atmosphere was great throughout.

Whiskies were brought out in coloured phases lasting about 30-40 minutes, with about 12 bottles listed in the programme plus one or two unlisted last-minute additions per phase, spread over six tables spread around the room. My full festival ticket got me three tokens/samples per phase, with any unused at the end exchangeable for anything remaining.

Samples were supposed to be 10ml, served by a bottle-top optic. I don't know how this compares to other festivals, but it did feel a little small to really get a proper tasting done and contributed to my favouring cask strength and high % offerings to allow the addition of a little water.
As I was working the next day I was glad of the small samples overall however, at least given the bargain price of a ticket!

There was free bottled water available, and cheap-as-anything cheese/oatcake/grape boxes and different chocolate for sale to pair with samples.

My only constructive criticisms would be to either find a bigger space or limit ticket sales slightly, increase the sample size a little, at least for non-cask strength whiskies, and have the pourers be a bit more familiar with whisky and ideally those on offer, if at all possible, as they seemed a bit inexperienced.

Overall I had a great time and would definitely recommend it for next year. Hopefully I'll be able to get along to some of their other tasting events through the year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: