www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Visit every distillery in Scotland tour plans needed

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Visit every distillery in Scotland tour plans needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrianlit
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Visit every distillery in Scotland tour plans needed Reply with quote

Hi im looking to visit every single distillery in Scotland for a photographic project im looking at doing, every site i seem to go have different or missing distilleries, so need to know every distillery whats open and the closed one which are still standing or have reminants, so i can do a photographic archive of every distillery in Scotland the main problem is I'm from near Manchester so it would have to be in 5 plus trips so cost is a major factor im guessing it will cost £3k + which is going to be self funded with a plan to sell calendar, photos to help with some of the cost and i need to have the most efficient route planned so im not driving miles out the way and then have to drive miles back from where i was to the next distillery can anyone help me please i need to start about March when the weather gets better

Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if I am stating the obvious. This is a massive project you are planning, I assume you have got yourself a distillery map showing the location of Scotland’s operational whisky distilleries, if not I would say this would be essential for planning to visit all distilleries. Make your own list, grouping them into to location/area, then operational/closed, open to public or closed. Most distilleries open to the public will have a website with visitor info. I would contact each distillery before you visit to confirm whether they are open, even explain your project, they may even waive visitor fees.

There are books with a to z of the distilleries which give each distillery location/address/postcode/phone number. Even some of the distilleries that do not normally accept visitors are open to the public at some times in the year such as the Speyside Festival so it may be a good idea to plan your visit to Speyside around festival times. It may be worth contacting distilleries that are never open to the public, they may give you access to take a few pictures.

I would split the trip into these areas

Lowland
Highland (Southern)
Highland (Eastern)
Speyside
Highland (Northern)
Highland (Western)
Island (Western)
Islay
Island (Southern)
Island ((Northern)

It may be worth checking out flights to some of the island distilleries, flybe fly to many of the islands and if you book in advance you may get a cheap flight and can perhaps even fly in and out the same day which should save on expenses and time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: