www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Scientists Try to Discover What Gives Whisky Its Flavour

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Scientists Try to Discover What Gives Whisky Its Flavour

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregor
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Scientists Try to Discover What Gives Whisky Its Flavour Reply with quote

Saw this on the BBC site.

Quote:
Scientists in Glasgow are aiming to discover what gives malt whiskies their distinctive flavour.

Researchers at Strathclyde University will focus on the role which oak casks play in determining the flavour.

They will examine the effect of different types of cask by comparing untreated oak to wood which has been heat treated.

The team hopes its findings will allow distillers to more easily control and maintain product quality.

The team, from the university's department of pure and applied chemistry, is conducting the research with the drinks firm Diageo.

'Sustaining quality'

Dr Jim Lewicki, who is leading the research, said: "A lot of the taste from whisky comes from the oak barrels themselves - very little of the taste comes from the distillation of spirit.

"Newly distilled whisky is essentially colourless when it goes into the cask, but when it comes out after several years, it has become golden brown and has collected a number of different flavours.

"We're looking to characterise and replicate, under controlled conditions, aspects of the cask flavouring processes that go on in traditional manufacture of casks and so develop further our knowledge about them.

"This is about sustaining good quality and making it better. If you have a famous brand, connoisseurs expect this."

Now if they are looking for an experienced taster to help with their research i am available. Very Happy

Gregor

Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been researching the taste of whisky for many years so i am sure i could help them with there research. Very Happy

Charlie
Finlay
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would volunteer my time for free to help them with the tasting, all in the name of science of course.

Finlay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: