www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - New Smokier - Highland Park 1997

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
New Smokier - Highland Park 1997

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: New Smokier - Highland Park 1997 Reply with quote

Highland Park have created a new smokier Highland Park but unfortunately it will only be available at Duty Free and Travel Retail outlets. It was only released last month so it is one to watch for if you are passing through an airport this summer.

This is what Highland Park say about it:

The guys who look after duty free asked us to make a whisky that is like the 12 year old: but smokier. So we hand-picked a selection of Highland Park casks from 1997 - with an emphasis on American oak sherry casks - and vatted them together in the time-honoured fashion. The result is a deliciously complex single malt with a long smoky finish.

Why the emphasis on American oak sherry casks? As you know, the biggest single influence on whisky flavor is the oak in which the whisky matures. At Highland Park we use expensive sherry seasoned casks; those made from American oak give the whisky soft, creamy vanilla and coconut sweet flavours which allow the aromatic smokiness of our whisky to fully express itself. Some refill European oak sherry seasoned casks have been used in the 1997 vintage to provide complexity, citrus sweetness and that all-important Highland Park sense of balance.

In terms of style, Highland Park 1997 vintage is closely related to the 16 and 21 year old expressions. We hope you have as much fun savouring it as we did putting it together for you.

Highland Park 1997 40% Tasting Note

Colour: Soft amber hue.
Nose: Classic American oak sherry cask notes of sweet vanilla, hints of butterscotch and coconut to the fore. Background notes of ripe citrus fruits with a whiff of teasing toffee and camphor.
Palate: Beautiful balance of sweetness and heather peat smokiness.
Finish: Long and smoky.

Highland Park 1997 is available in one litre bottles at €42.

Look out for the Highland Park 1997 when you are at any of the following airports; Berlin/Tegel, Berlin/Schönefeld, Köln/Bonn, Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Hannover, Hahn, Frankfurt, Weeze, Copenhagen, Trondheim, Wien, Linz, Graz, Dalaman, Ankara, Izmir, Istanbul, Antalya, Budapest, Dubrovnik, Pula, Rijeka.

Not sure if it is available at any UK airport travel retail shops, the list above was supplied by HP.

William

Keith
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity it is only in the duty free shops, i wouldnt mind trying it myself. I have always thought Highland Park was a great whisky but would have been even better with a bit more smoke.

Keith
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A smoky Highland Park, now this is one i would like to try unfortunately i wont be near any of the airports stocking it. I would be interested to know how smoky it is, it does sound interesting.

Andy M
Big Mac
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt have minded a taste of this one but i wont be near any of these airports so not much chance of me tasting it.

Mac
Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to try this one also. Hopefully this is the Edrington group probing the market like they did with the Black Grouse, they first released it in travel retail shops and then in a few markets then rolled it out everywhere. If anyone has tried this it would be good to hear your thoughts on it.

Mark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: