www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - how to read chivas serial numbers

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
how to read chivas serial numbers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rippsnorter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: how to read chivas serial numbers Reply with quote

I have a bottle of Chivas Regal that I would really like to know the date of. It is labeled as a 12 year, but I know that it was bought some time in the 60's or 70's. does anyone know how to read all the codes on the bottle or box? the box has this number on the bottom: 6500138. The ATF label across the cap has 2 numbers the first one is:078719178. the second is I-549. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, here is an reply which i gave to another post a while back:

"I know certain bottles can be aged from the markings on the bottles but a lot of the time the markings only mean something to the distillery that produced the bottle. They where put on the bottles for by the bottler for quality control reasons.

It can sometimes be worthwhile contacting the distillery the bottle is from, remember to give them the full details of the bottle you have, including any markings on the glass and everything it says on the label. You may be surprised how helpful some of them can be they may even be able to tell you to the exact day how old the bottle is."

I personally do not know a what the numbers on a Chivas Regal bottle means if anything as i said above they may only mean something to the bottler.

If you want to read the rest of this post which also has some interesting info about when the bottle size changed which can be useful when trying to age a bottle see here:

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253

Andy M
rippsnorter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! I will contact them and see what they can tell me about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: