www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Distilleries within striking distance of Elgin

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Distilleries within striking distance of Elgin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IndianaBlues
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Distilleries within striking distance of Elgin Reply with quote

We're heading up to the very NW tip of Scotland on Saturday for our usual summer Scottish jaunt, which unfortunately is bereft of anything resembling a distillery nearby, but I've convinced "the boss" that we should stop on the way back down, and conveniently found some accommodation in Elgin for a Saturday (afternoon) to Monday (morning) stay Smile

So, on the "possible" list I've got:
- Glenfarclas (missed out on the last tour by 10 minutes last year)
- Aberlour (do they do a general admission tour, or is it by appointment only?)
- Cardhu
- Glenlivet
- Glen Ord (could do this on the way up as well as we'll be passing through Inverness)

I could probably only get to three of these at most whilst maintaining harmony (possibly only two Smile ) so which should I try for? I've already been to Glenfiddich, Cragganmore, Dalwhinnie and Blair Athol.

jcarrick
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Glenfarclas and the Glenlivet, if things are still the same they only do special tours on a Friday so it would only be standard tours at the weekend but still worth doing.

The Aromas and Flavours tour at Cardhu was £8 only £4 more than the standard tour but included sampling 3 single malt plus a Johnnie Walker. Prices have probably changed since I was there a couple of years ago.

Aberlour for me is the best out of this lot, I can recommend the Founders Tour which was £25 when I done it, you have to pre-book. There standard tour was £10 and you would be advised to pre-book this also
STUDOGG37
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen Moray do a good tour and should be around a 20 minute walk from Elgin town centre.
sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always try balvenie. The odds are you won't get on it but it's worth asking, it's £35 but you will not be disappointed ... The aberlour tour is pretty decent, and you get plenty of samples at the end.. Also get a bottle or two of the bottle your own.. Well worth the asking price...glenlivet is a pretty standard tour, you could always try to get to dalwhinnie or on your way back home try get to aberfeldy or Edradour, both are in nice surroundings...
IndianaBlues
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, having the family in tow I won't be able to visit too many (more's the pity) as there's only so long they're prepared to wait in the car Smile ).

I'll see which way the wind blows...but make sure there's at least one within striking distance!

sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fo get to Glenfarclas or aberlour then just go to Glenfiddich, it's worth it just to look, there is a very good cafe, and plenty to see for free, a very good shop,
IndianaBlues
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this trip turned into a bit of a damp squib, after an 11 hour journey to get here I had half a day on the beach then came down with a painful bout of sinusitis, resulting in the last 4 and a half days in bed on antibiotics Sad

I've cancelled the Elgin part of the trip, there's always next year! I did manage to convince my wife to pick up a bottle of 20yr Tobermory from the single cask bottling at the village shop in the next village down the road, my dad acted as official taster and has given it his seal of approval, so looking forward to that once the meds are finished. On the way up in Tesco Inverness they had one shelf of Gordon Macphail bottlings, including Mortlach 15yr, for between £35 and £50. Anything I should be paying particular interest in?
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that IndianaBlues. Gordon MacPhail can have some hidden gems. I have had a few Mortlach indie bottlings over the years, some have been outstanding and some not so good at all.

I have had a few bottles of the G & M Mortlach 15, they have varied in quality also, I have had one bottle which was a little sulphur tainted, but that was some time ago, the other bottlings of the 15 i have had have been decent enough big sherried, vanilla'd, spicey, oaky whiskies. The G & M Mortlachs are a very good price when compared to the new original distillery bottlings which are now available. I was also lucky enough to taste the G & M Mortlach 70 year old which was outstanding.
Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a Macallan fan then G & M Speymalt Macallan bottlings are usually worth a try
IndianaBlues
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felt a bit better today on the way home, so decided to detour to Glen Ord on the way home. I couldn't try a sample because of the antibiotics, but enjoyed the tour and bought a bottle of 12 to try. Also picked up a bottle of the G&M Mortlach 15 from Tesco so have those and the Tobermory 20 to try once I've recouperated Smile

sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late I know but sad to hear your visit did not go to plan, I'm sure you will get back next year and have a great trip, at least you came away with a couple of bottles, I'm just in the process of planning another trip to speyside, hopefully this year or very early in new year.. Enjoy your bottles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: