www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Planning a Scotch Whiskey tour

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Planning a Scotch Whiskey tour
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Planning a Scotch Whiskey tour Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm planning a tour around Scotland in September and will be visiting as many distilleries as possible over 8 days.

Hoping to hit Lowlands, Islay, Skye, Highlands (Highland Park on Orkney is a must) and of course Speyside. A lot to get in only 8 days but we don't plan to stay more than one day in a place and expect to be on the road most of the time (that is half the fun...)

Can anyone recommend a logical order to hit each location (I was thinking clockwise around Scotland) and any advice for planning the trip and anything Scotch lovers absolutely have to see?

Cheers, Bonj

Mr C
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I can't recommend a way, but if you're going speyside I honestly cant recommend the Balvenie tour enough to you. you MUST book, you CANT turn up on the day or you will be turned away (happen to people when I was there). It was brilliant from start to finish.
IndianaBlues
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're visiting any diageo distilleries remember to join the Friends of Classic Malts club, that gets you free entry into the rest of their distilleries, including the dram and money off at each distillery shop...
Bonj

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great advice. Balvenie is now on the list and I've signed up for Friends of Classic Malts!

Any other advice on distilleries and route?
Kenny M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tour you choose to do at each distillery will determine how many distilleries you can visit in a day. A visit can vary from one hour to half a day for some of the special tours which usually involve tasting something special and are usually worth it.

If you start at Auchentoshan just north of Glasgow then on to the southern Highlands, Glengoyne not far from Auchentoshan, then Deanston then Tulibardine and if you have time up to Aberfeldy. Then off to Speyside where there are loads of distilleries.

Bonj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kenny M, great advice.

Can anyone recommend the best distilleries to visit on Islay? Trying to work out how much of the 8 days should be spent on Islay so any advice would be welcomes Smile
Cuba
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending how much of a fan you are of the Islay whiskies, I would would say you need at least 2 days on Islay.
Bonj

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Cuba.

I have Lagavulin and Springbank on the list, can anyone recommend any others which are a must see and particually interesting distilleries to visit on Islay?
James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonj wrote:
Thank you Cuba.

I have Lagavulin and Springbank on the list, can anyone recommend any others which are a must see and particually interesting distilleries to visit on Islay?
If you are in the area of Lagavulin then I would say check out Laphroaig and Ardbeg, all 3 can be done in a day.
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As James says if visiting Lagavulin it is also possible to visit Laphroaig and Ardbeg on the same day, all 3 distilleries are in the Kildalton area east of Port Ellen.

Laphroaig is just over 5 minutes drive east of Port Ellen on the A846.Ardbeg is about 10 minutes drive east of Port Ellen on the A846, Lagavulin is half way between Laphroaig and Ardbeg on the A846.

Then there is the Bowmore distillery situated in the village of the same name which is 15 miles north of Port Ellen on the A846 from Bowmore you can head to either Bruichladdich on the other side of Loch Indaal or head north east from Bowmore to Port Askaig where you will find Caol Ila and Bunnahabhain a little further north. The Isle of Jura and the Jura distillery is just a short ferry ride from Port Askaig

sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balvenie is a great tour but don't discount Glenfiddich, it's a good tour.. The bottle your own when I was there was a cask strength version of the 15 solero .. And it's good !! .. Auchentoshan is a good standard tour.. Glengoyne is also ok.. Aberfeldy is a beautiful stop and a ok tour, Edradour isn't too far either.. And it's again a lovely distillery and a really good shop !! .. Dalwhinnie isn't too far from there either..
Mr C
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sorren"]The bottle your own when I was there was a cask strength version of the 15 solero .. And it's good !! ..quote]

I am going to stick my neck out here and say, probably, one of the best drams I've tasted.
sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard or the cask strength ? .. Both are good but the cask strength is that dram we all say I wonder what it would be like.. Well the answer is bloody great... It just works so well, the balance is great, it's something you want to just drink more n more and then some more ... One bottle is not enough.. Believe me
Mr C
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorren wrote:
The standard or the cask strength ? .. Both are good but the cask strength is that dram we all say I wonder what it would be like.. Well the answer is bloody great... It just works so well, the balance is great, it's something you want to just drink more n more and then some more ... One bottle is not enough.. Believe me

Sorry Sorren, cask strength! I was up two weeks ago, its 58% bang on. Top Malt
sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you, I so want to get back for another bottle..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: