www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Recommended Whisky For A Newbie

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Recommended Whisky For A Newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackson
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Recommended Whisky For A Newbie Reply with quote

Hi

I have just spent the last couple of hours reading through the old posts here with great interest. I have recently seen the light and moved up to malt from blended whisky thanks to a bottle of Glenlivet 12 which i received for a christmas gift.

I have since tried a few different whiskies and i have loved them all, why i stuck to just blends for so long i dont know.

I have now tried the Glenlivet 12, Aberlour 10, Tesco Islay 10 and a Glenmorangie 10 and i loved them all but probably least impressed with the Glenmorangie.

What i was hoping was if someone could advise me what next. I would guess there are many really good malts in the £20 - £30 price range that should try but which ones are particularly good. If possible suggestions which i can normally find in a local supermarket or off license.

All suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Jackson

Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jackson

Going by what you have tried already and liked this is what i would say are are worth trying and all of these should be available from supermarkets or local off licenses and more or less within your price range::

Dalwhinnie 15
Highland Park 12
Old Pulteney 12
Craganmore12
Balvenie 10 Founders Reserve
Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve
Glenlivet 18

Smoky/Peaty Malts
Ardbeg 10
Laphroaig 10
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Talisker 10
Bruichladdich Rocks
Bowmore 12
Bowmore Legend

Sherried Malts
Macallan 10 Sherryoak
Balvenie 12 Doublewood
Aberlour a'bunadh

These 2 are a little out of your price range but are worth the extra few pound and can ususally be found in the bigger supermarkets:
Highland Park 18
Talisker 18

Enjoy

Andy M
Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jackson

Those are all very good suggestions Andy has given you. The ones i would recommend as being particularly good are:

Ardbeg 10
Talisker 10
Balvenie 12 Doublewood

Remember to check the Whisky Offers & Bargains section of the forum http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=18 which usually tells you the best deals available from the supermarkets, i always check it and it has saved me a lot.

Charlie
Islay Pete
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jackson

I see you liked the Tesco Islay malt, treat yourself to a bottle of Ardbeg 10, you will love it.

Welcome to the world of malt wisky.

Pete
Jackson
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the slow response i wasnt online yesterday. Thanks Andy, Charlie and Pete for your replies exactly what i was looking for. Ardbeg seems to be one to try so i will be picking up a bottle at the weekend along with a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood, i think they will do me for now but i certainly intend to try all the others mentioned. I think i may also be a regular visitor to the Whisky Offers & Bargains section of the forum, thanks great tip.

Jackson

Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Jackson

Be sure and come back and let us know what you think of the Ardbeg and others.

Andy M
Jackson
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought i would let you know i thought the Ardbeg 10 years old was absolutely superb, by far the best whisky i have had, i actually bought a 2nd bottle of it today along with a Talisker 10 which i am still to try, i am just sticking to the Ardbeg 10 tonight. I also tried the Balvenie Doublewood which is very good.

Jackson
islayonspey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Boldly go . . . . Reply with quote

Jackson wrote:
I just thought i would let you know i thought the Ardbeg 10 years old was absolutely superb, by far the best whisky i have had, i actually bought a 2nd bottle of it today along with a Talisker 10 which i am still to try, i am just sticking to the Ardbeg 10 tonight. I also tried the Balvenie Doublewood which is very good.
Jackson

Jackson,
You are becoming a real pro even without my help. Looks like "you are boldly going to Supernova". I took me a year to try and love Ardbeg, you did it in ?? weeks??
Keep sampling, there is plenty to learn!
Slainte Rene
Jackson
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Boldly go . . . . Reply with quote

islayonspey wrote:
Jackson,
You are becoming a real pro even without my help. Looks like "you are boldly going to Supernova". I took me a year to try and love Ardbeg, you did it in ?? weeks??
Keep sampling, there is plenty to learn!
Slainte Rene
I dont know about becoming a pro, i just cant get over how good the Ardbeg 10 is. I dont quite get your Supernova comment are you referring to a whisky.

Jackson
John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jackson and welcome to the forum, like many others i agree Ardbeg produces some of the best whisky around.

The Supernova Rene mentioned is a very limited edition Ardbeg whisky which was only available to Ardbeg Committee Members. You can join the Ardbeg Committe for free via the Ardbeg website, joining the Ardbeg Committee will mean you are kept up to date with news from Islay and any new bottlings from the Ardbeg distillery and you also get the chance to buy exclusive limited edition bottlings such as the Supernova Rene mentioned.

Rene, i assume you where lucky enough to get yourself a bottle of the Supernova, was it as good as i would think it would be?

Anyway for anyone who did miss out on a bottle Ardbegs website states
Quote:
And for those who missed out, all is not lost! Ardbeg Supernova, peated to an astonishing level of over 100 parts per million, will return to earth in a wider, though still limited, release in mid April 2009. Watch this space:.!

John

islayonspey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Supernova II Reply with quote

John wrote:
Hi Jackson and welcome to the forum, like many others i agree Ardbeg produces some of the best whisky around.

The Supernova Rene mentioned is a very limited edition Ardbeg whisky which was only available to Ardbeg Committee Members. You can join the Ardbeg Committe for free via the Ardbeg website, joining the Ardbeg Committee will mean you are kept up to date with news from Islay and any new bottlings from the Ardbeg distillery and you also get the chance to buy exclusive limited edition bottlings such as the Supernova Rene mentioned.

Rene, i assume you where lucky enough to get yourself a bottle of the Supernova, was it as good as i would think it would be?

Anyway for anyone who did miss out on a bottle Ardbegs website states
Quote:
And for those who missed out, all is not lost! Ardbeg Supernova, peated to an astonishing level of over 100 parts per million, will return to earth in a wider, though still limited, release in mid April 2009. Watch this space:.!

John

Hi John,
Supernova took me to another level of enjoying Ardbeg, from the earlier release of Blasda at 8ppm to 100ppm gives you a kick like a mule, but very, very enjoyable !!!
I always have 3-5 Ardbeg's open at one time but living on Speyside is like living on an edge, cos not many people around here like the "peaty stuff".
You are correct Ardbeg is bringing out another batch of Supernova, and I hope that it'll last till I get to Ardbeg end of May for the Open Day!!!
Slainte Rene
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: