www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Bruichladdich To Release World's Most Peated Whisky

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bruichladdich To Release World's Most Peated Whisky

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Bruichladdich To Release World's Most Peated Whisky Reply with quote

I saw this on the Drinks Media Wire website:

The World's Most Peated Whisky
Bruichladdich distillery announce the release of the world's the most heavily peated whisky ever. One of four small-scale eclectic bottlings for the 2008/2009 season.

The inaugural bottling of Octomore, distilled at Bruichladdich from barley peated to 131 ppm, is three times more peaty than any other whisky ever produced.

PC7, the third bottling of the cult Islay whisky distilled from barley at 40 ppm, features six different tin designs of members of the Bruichladdich 'family' responsible for the whisky.

DNA is a 'final hurrah' bottling of near empty casks from the sixties and early seventies ACE'd in exceptional quality casks from Ch. Le Pin, arguably the world's rarest wine.

X4 is a small, quirky bottling of 4 times distilled Islay spirit inspired by a 1695 tasting note. So pure is the new spirit Top Gear's James May filmed a racing car running on it as 'proof'

'In Viking times they called it perilous whisky', says MD Mark Reynier, 'because of it's exceptionally high distillation strength. At bottling we reduced ours to a safer 50%.

'It has way too much flavour to be a mere vodka substitute. It's the original usquebaugh, the 'water of life' of our Hebridean forefathers. They didn't waste time aging it, nor did we.'

DNA, X4 and Octomore were sold out before they were bottled.

Bruichladdich DNA 900 bottles, @41% ABV, 36 years old, RSP £400
Bruichladdich Octomore 6000 bottles @ 63.5% ABV, 5 years old, RSP £79
Bruichladdich PC7 24,000 bottles @ 61% ABV, 7 years RSP £61
Bruichladdich X4 6,000 bottles @ 50% ABV, 0 years, RSP £39

In 1695 Martin Martin, in The Western Islands of Scotland, refers to an ancient quadruple distilled whisky known as 'usquebaugh-baul' Gaelic for 'perilous whisky' and writes the world's oldest whisky tasting note:

"the first taste affects all the members of the body: two spoonfuls of this last liquor is a sufficient dose; and if any man should exceed this, it would presently stop his breath, and endanger his life."

Charlie

Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in knowing what the Octomore is like, if it is worth the £79 for a 5 year old whisky. I cannot imagine what this level of peat will be like. Anyway it is not a bad profit for Bruichladdich - 6000 bottles at £79 a bottle for a 5 year old.

Mark
Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you will get a chance to taste it Mark as i have read every bottle had been spoken for before it left the bottling plant. I am sure we will see it available on places like ebay with a huge mark-up.

Bookie
800mman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One on ebay now! 250347093098
5 bids £132 with 8 days to go!
Ardy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im so impressed with Bruickladdich!
Love their bold behaviour. The young stuff is so good!
Fergie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ardy wrote:
im so impressed with Bruickladdich!
Love their bold behaviour. The young stuff is so good!
Some of the prices lately on the young Laddie stuff has been a little bold at times i have noticed, although the bottlings have been very good.

I also really enjoyed their older Redder Still which they released in 2007
http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/shop/product/3/1232/Bruichladdich-Redder-Still-1984-22.htm
The one thing that annoyed me about this bottle is i couldnt tell how much was left in it.

Fergie

Ardy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will keep an eye out for redder still.
lol. i see the friggin bottle is all red, so one cant gage the last dram.
Geez these guys.
I have purchased and enjoyed quite a bit bruickyladdie, and yes pretty bold prices at times. Love the 3D3 and submarine. recently picked up the waves and pretty nice.

Iv never trird the ROCKS and have been offered to buy a few, any good?
Fergie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ardy wrote:
Iv never trird the ROCKS and have been offered to buy a few, any good?
Rocks is a decent enough laddie for your money, its around £25 but have seen it on offer here in the big supermarkets for as low as £20 which is a good deal. If i was to rate it i would give it 84/100

Fergie
Harvey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fergie wrote:
The one thing that annoyed me about this bottle is i couldnt tell how much was left in it.

Fergie
Hi Fergie just saw your post and just had to comment, Laddie does have an annoying tendancy to paint there bottles and as Ardy says you cannot gauge it when it is coming to an end. From what i can recall they have done it with the Black Still, Red Still and they are stll doing it as it looks like the new Bruichladdich Resurrection is painted blue. Still all good drams though, well i am yet to try the Resurrection.

Harvey
Vcdman
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruichladdich what a great distillery. The daughter of the distiller came to Australia to talk about their whisky's and mentioned this phenomenally peated dram. Such in awe i was to here her talk whisky, i had forgot about this release. How lovely it would be to have in ones collection!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: