www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Supermarket own brand single malts

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Supermarket own brand single malts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TommyP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Supermarket own brand single malts Reply with quote

Someone once told me that the Tesco Islay malt was a real bargain because it's the cheapest way to get Bruchladdich / Bunnahabhain (can't remember which it is). Whichever, it was a very nice dram.
I rang Sainsbury's the other day to ask which distilleries their own-brand malts come from - their Highland 12yo and their Speyside 12yo. To my disappointment I was told that due to to data protection in their contracts with the suppliers, they are not able to give me that information. Surely the distilleries would want customers to know where the whisky comes from, I thought. Does anyone know from which distilleries these two whiskies (or any other supermarket own-brand malt, for that matter) originate?

Thanks,
Tom

Fergie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom

The distilleries will never want you to know what is actually is in the supermarket label whisky because if you knew you would not pay the extra £10plus for the distillery label bottle.

As far as what is in the supermarket bottles you can make an educated guess to what is in most of the bottles if you are famular with most distilleries whiskies but what is in supermarket bottles can change at anytime just depends where the supermarket sources the whisky. What i can say is all supermarket whisky i have tried has been very good for the money. My top supermarket choices would be Tesco Highland and Islay malts also Sainsburys Islay whisky.

Fergie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: