www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Japan visit

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Japan visit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rafa
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Japan visit Reply with quote

i intend to visit japan and i believe Yamazaki distillery is close or in Kyoto city, so i am hoping to visit.

can anyone confirm?

also, what is the whisky scene in Japan, do bars stock scotches and Japanese whiskies and what are the prices like?

finally, is there some nice bargain buy to be made either at tokyo duty free or in the shops or at Yamazaki distillery itself.

cheers

rafa

Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Japan visit Reply with quote

rafa wrote:
i intend to visit japan and i believe Yamazaki distillery is close or in Kyoto city, so i am hoping to visit.

can anyone confirm?

also, what is the whisky scene in Japan, do bars stock scotches and Japanese whiskies and what are the prices like?

finally, is there some nice bargain buy to be made either at tokyo duty free or in the shops or at Yamazaki distillery itself.

cheers

rafa

The Suntory Yamazaki Distillery is about 15 minutes from Kyoto by train:
From Kyoto>
-JR Kyoto Station to JR Yamazaki Station (about 15 minutes)
-Hankyu Kawaramachi Station to Hankyu Oyamazaki Station (about 25 minutes)
*The distillery is located about 10 minutes on foot from JR Yamazaki Station and Hankyu Oyamazaki Station.

For more information about Yamazaki Distillery or to reserve your place on a tour, contact the Yamazaki Distillery Information Desk:
Phone:
+81-75-962-1423
Operator hours:
9:30 am to 5:00 pm

The last time I was in Japan was in 1981. However, even then there were many whisky bars and Suntory brands were both popular and available. I'm sure this is even more true today with a wide selection of single malts.

Here is an older link to the whisky bar scene article in Tokyo, Japan and lists a number of places to check out:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2010/mar/20/tokyo-paradise-for-whisky-drinkers
opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine that any bottles are going to be a bargain given the export prices these days. Personally if it were me I'd be looking to pick up some distillery only bottlings (I believe Yamazaki do some either bottles that are only sold in the distillery shop and/or single casks).

These are the types of things you are simply not going to be able to get outside of Japan as they don't get exported.

I'm sure there will be quite a few domestic only bottlings too that you can get in local shops that you will not find anywhere else in the world.

If you are looking for rare/collectables then stuff from Karuizawa or Hanyu as they are closed and stock (certainly outside of Japan) is just not avaliable.
rafa
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Japan Whisky scene Reply with quote

thank you ver ymuch SMW mates!!

much appreciated Smile

looking forward.

rafa
dramblersanonymous
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Japan last year and hit a few whisky establishments. I'll have a look through my notes and see what I can send across. If you are in the booze trade Mr Ichiro is always up for a chat. It's an awesome place, big fan! You'll have a great time I'm sure. Will have a look in the next couple of days.
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my recent visit to Scotland I bumped into some guys who know a thing or two about Japanese whisky. I wasn't aware that whisky bars are very formal in Japan (black tie events) although the Highlander Inn has a twinned bar over there which is a lot more informal apparently.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Japanese Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: