www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Macallan 25 Sherry Oak and/or Lagavulin 37

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Macallan 25 Sherry Oak and/or Lagavulin 37

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Collectables & Whisky Auction Listings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xcompl
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Macallan 25 Sherry Oak and/or Lagavulin 37 Reply with quote

Just getting into buying/investing into whisky; which is better investment Macallan 25 sherry oak or Lagavulin 37? any help is appreciated. thanks.

James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both will be very collectable it also depends on the price you pay for them and how long you plan on keeping them, is it a quick profit or long term investment.
xcompl
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think long term, macallan around $960US and the other $2500US, is 5-7 yrs enough to get good appreciation?
Big Mac
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$960US for the Macallan 25 sherryoak sounds like a good price and i am sure you will make a profit in 5 - 7 years, i would guess you will at least double your money perhaps a lot more.

I have over 150 bottles of Macallan stored away as an investment which i will leave to my family when i have moved on, i have tasted at least 1 bottle of every one i have so i havent missed out in tasting them and i estimate i will make a minimum $1000US on each bottle in some cases a lot more. Good luck.
xcompl
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for info, so is Macallan better from investment view than Lagavulin 37? or just personal preference, what other brands should I be looking at like Brora?
Big Mac
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure Lagavulin and Brora will be good investments but at the price range and time frame you are talking about, i would say thet the Macallan would be better % profit wise but i am a biased Macallan fan.

Mr C
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong, but i was under the impression the mac 25 was more of a drinking drink than collect as it's out every year (but limited numbers)?
Brummie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Macallans are drinking whiskies and the brand has many collectors/fans, almost a cult following. Demand outstrips supply of the likes of the Macallan 25 year old sherry oak and the Macallan changes its packaging every so often if you hold on to a bottle for a number of years these collectors/fans will recognise that the bottle was from a number of years ago and will be willing to pay more for it.

If you look over at The Whisky Exchange you will see that they do not have a current bottling of the Macallan 25 Sherry Oak, they have a recent bottling of the Macallan 25 Fine Oak for £799.

You can pick up the Macallan 25 Sherry Oak at auction, it seems to be selling for around £400 now
http://www.scotchwhiskyauctions.com/store/product/51_the-23rd-auction-runs-until-sunday-march-3/11024_230806-macallan-25-year-old/

A better investment would be a Macallan Over 25 Year Old Anniversary Malt if you can find one at a good price, the value of these are sure to keep rising.
Islay Pete
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$2500 sounds like a good price for the Lagavulin 37, this was a very special rare release so i would think it will only increase in value and perhaps by quite a bit in a 5-7 year period the way prices are going at the moment, but 7 years is a long time anything could happen, is there a whisky bubble? I really cant see any of these being a bad investment even a Brora as long as are able to buy at a good price.
xcompl
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in Canada so most likely have to buy retail, there isn't too many auctions that I can find to buy below retail.
Big Mac
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xcompl wrote:
im in Canada so most likely have to buy retail, there isn't too many auctions that I can find to buy below retail.
How will you sell your investment to make a profit? Where in Canada are you? Can you just nip over the border to the US for such a big investment.
xcompl
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too far to US, will need to sell online ebay or something not sure yet

xcompl
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of macallan 30? Around $1190us
Craven
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Macallan 30 although released in small amounts is still part of the Macallan core range a will be available every year unless the Macallan drop it from the range so i would say stay away from core range bottlings and aim at limited or discontinued bottlings such as the Macallan 25 anniversay bottlings if it is an investment.
xcompl
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for info! just got another Macallan 25 Sherry Oak, perhaps the no bottling this year as some pointed out will increase a value a bit and since many seem to like this one. Found Macallan M in store for around $3600US, but I read this will be ongoing release, is this worth even looking at or better to buy 3 bottles of Macallan 25 sherry oak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Collectables & Whisky Auction Listings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: