www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Japanese Whisky - The Next Big Thing

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Japanese Whisky - The Next Big Thing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Japanese Whisky - The Next Big Thing Reply with quote

"Soaring demand for whiskies made in a country long associated with sake has catapulted Japan into the ranks of the world's whisky heavyweights - Scotland, Ireland, the United States and Canada - despite having fewer than 10 distilleries, about a tenth of the number in Scotland. Commercial production has been around in Japan since the 1920's after a student who learned the art of whisky making in Scotland helped start the Yamazaki distillery near Kyoto".

http://cooks.ndtv.com/article/show/japanese-whisky-the-next-big-thing-592123

opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that people who have not heard of Japanese whisky think it's the next big thing. It ain't up and coming, it's up and come. I've been drinking the stuff for a few years and it's been getting good press for quite some time. Prices are soaring because of demand, I nearly had a heart attack today when thinking about getting a new bottle of Hakushu 18 and it's about £150! Didn't get one.

For me the next big thing is "Asian" whisky - stuff from India and places like Taiwan (Kavalan anyone?) are really showing what can be done with good spirit, good wood management and careful vatting. Amrut has been constantly blowing me away this year.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opelfruit wrote:
Funny that people who have not heard of Japanese whisky think it's the next big thing. It ain't up and coming, it's up and come. I've been drinking the stuff for a few years and it's been getting good press for quite some time. Prices are soaring because of demand, I nearly had a heart attack today when thinking about getting a new bottle of Hakushu 18 and it's about £150! Didn't get one.

For me the next big thing is "Asian" whisky - stuff from India and places like Taiwan (Kavalan anyone?) are really showing what can be done with good spirit, good wood management and careful vatting. Amrut has been constantly blowing me away this year.

I agree. I first encountered Japanese whisky during some extensive travelling in Japan in 1981. I remember being at a Suntory bar at a highrise rooftop enjoying yakatori chicken and whisky-those were the days....
opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quaich1 wrote:
opelfruit wrote:

I agree. I first encountered Japanese whisky during some extensive travelling in Japan in 1981. I remember being at a Suntory bar at a highrise rooftop enjoying yakatori chicken and whisky-those were the days....

And I wasn't even born yet, not even a twinkle the the eye of my parents Smile
James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to experiment with the older Japanese whiskies but the price puts me off. What i have had has been good but there is just as good for less from Scotland.

Murray how does the Japanese whisky prices compare to Scotch prices in Canada
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T wrote:
I would love to experiment with the older Japanese whiskies but the price puts me off. What i have had has been good but there is just as good for less from Scotland.

Murray how does the Japanese whisky prices compare to Scotch prices in Canada

Hi James. Here's an idea as to what some Japanese expressions go for here in Ontario. There is not a huge selection overall of Japanese product. It is actually very limited. It is difficult therefore to compare Japanese to Scotch prices since the LCBO does sell some very expensive single malt scotch and the Japanese offerings here are low and medium range price offerings. The single malt from Japan that I have had the most is Nikka Yoichi 10 Year and it's excellent. The Yoichi would stand up to most standard single malt scotch at the same price point.

Nikka Single Malt Miyagikyo 15 Year Old
$189.20

Nikka Yoichi 10 Years Old Single Malt Whisky
$114.85

Nikka Pure Malt White
$74.95

Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt 12YR Whisky
$74.40

Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt 17 Year Old
$116.

The Yamazaki 12 Years Old Single Malt Whisky
$69.95

whiskyjapan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opelfruit wrote:
Funny that people who have not heard of Japanese whisky think it's the next big thing. It ain't up and coming, it's up and come.

It has up and come, and gone and left! (in terms of buying interesting releases without breaking the bank)
xcompl
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone tried The Yamazaki 18? I really like the 12yr, not sure if the 18 is worth it.
opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xcompl wrote:
anyone tried The Yamazaki 18? I really like the 12yr, not sure if the 18 is worth it.

I don't think it's worth the current prices, gone up way too much. I prefer the Hakushu 18 personally anyway.

If you want older Japanese whiskies your best bet is blends or vatted malts. Both the Hibiki 17 and Taketsuru 17 are great and a lot cheaper than the Yamazaki. They are still worth the price.

If you want single malt then the Yoichi 15 is a good halfway house, thick and sherried with a touch of peat and it's not too pricey.
xcompl
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant find any Hibiki in stores now, they use to have them but now for some reason they are gone. Did you ever try the Kaurizawa? I hear they are hard to come by since they no longer produced
xcompl
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found Nikka 21 Pure Malt for $143, will see what this is like
munter
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found some Yoichi 10 for a reasonable price. Getting hard to find now though so stocking up for a few years of Japanese whisky drought. I'm sure that production has been scaled up and this is just a temporary blip!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Japanese Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: