www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - New Smokehead Extra Black 18 Years Old

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
New Smokehead Extra Black 18 Years Old

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: New Smokehead Extra Black 18 Years Old Reply with quote

Ian Macleod Distillers is launching SMOKEHEAD EXTRA BLACK, a new premium 18 Years Old Islay Single Malt Whisky at Cannes TFWA, Mediterranean Village, N9, 27-31 October 2008.

Created to appeal to the discerning and adventurous drinker, the contemporary frosted black bottle features silver letterpress type applied directly to the glass, producing instant shelf presence. Like its predecessors, the design is dominated with a variety of adjectives such as Deep, Smoky and Earthy, eluding to the powerful Islay taste of the malt inside. The decision to introduce a new squat tapered shaped bottle adds sophistication and visually differentiates Extra Black as the premium product in the Smokehead range.

There is increased brand value with the introduction of a stylish and robust matt black flight case with silver Smokehead logo, which reaffirms that this product is every inch, "Extra Black'. While the individual numbering of each bottle, further highlights the product's rare, limited edition status.

Despite its 18 years maturation giving Extra Black a slightly more mellow flavour than the original Smokehead Islay Single Malt, Extra Black is certainly not for the faint hearted. A neck-booklet provides tasting notes, bringing to life the rich, complex and peaty flavours of this distinctive Single Malt. Instantly full of peat smoke with hints of ginger and mint, the taste starts light and briny with gentle cloves, before building with flavours of vanilla and cocoa, creating a rounded and smooth mouthfeel. The finish brings together the ever present smoke with rich dark chocolate and kiwi fruit undertones.

Iain Weir, Marketing Director for Ian Macleod Distillers commented: "Smokehead Extra Black is the natural evolution of the Smokehead brand. It is an 18 Years Old Islay Single Malt of the highest quality, presented in very impressive and distinctive top-end packaging. The strong and peaty flavours of the Malt demand your attention, and it was important that the design reflected this, creating an exclusive product with the wow-factor that really grabs consumers' attention.

The launch of Smokehead Extra Black forms part of Ian Macleod Distillers' on-going five-year sales and marketing strategy to increase their presence, sales and profit in global Travel Retail. Ian Macleod will also launch a Travel Retail exclusive and brand extension to their Glengoyne Highland Single Malt range at Cannes TWFA, with the introduction of "Glengoyne 14 Years Old Heritage Gold' (see seperate post for more info on the Glengoyne 14 Years Old).

Ian Macleod Distillers will showcase all of their award winning Travel Retail portfolio at Cannes TFWA, Mediterranean Village, N9, 27-31 October 2008.

Limited stock of Smokehead Extra Black 18 Years Old Islay Single Malt will be available worldwide both domestically and through travel retail outlets. (70cl, 46% vol., TR RSP £68/$127/86).

William

Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, i am passing through Glasgow airport in a couple of weeks, i wonder if they will have it as i do enjoy Smokehead.

Alastair
McKay
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it would be available to try at Whisky Live Glasgow this coming weekend. I shall have to look out for it.

McKay
Martin G
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt see Smokehead listed on the Whisky Live web site in their list of exibitors for Whisky Live in Glasgow next weekend but i am sure they will be there. I have had a couple of bottles of Smokehead and very much enjoyed them and t wouldnt mind a taste of the new Smokehead Extra Black 18 Years Old myself. Roll on next weekend.

Martin
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I emailed Ian Ian Macleod Distillers last night and received a quick response this morning.

Only Glengoyne will be at Whisky Live Glasgow and with them they will have Glengoyne 10,12,17,21,1972 and new single casks and miniatures.

Unfortunately no Smokehead this weekend.

William

McKay
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks William, it must be very limited if they are not going to promote it at whisky live.

McKay
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I got a reply from Iain Weir, Marketing Director for Ian Macleod Distillers relating to how many bottles of the Smokehead 18 will be available.

It will be limited to 6000 bottles initial release in the first year and approx. the same number again in following years.

William
Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that The Whisky Exchange have just got the Smokehead Extra Black, it is listed under their new products section priced ar £84.99

I am just trying to decide whether to get it to try or go for the new Laphroaig 18. Question

Charlie
Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie, I can say both the Laphroaig 18 and the Smokehead 18 are very good. I believe the Smokehead is normally only in duty free shops, i dont know where The Whisky Exchange got its stock but it may be very limited so you may not get the chance to get the Smokehead 18 again unless you get it at an airport. So i would gofor the Smokehead as the Laphroaig 18 will be available for quite a while i would think.

Alastair
Harvey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy both of them, Very Happy

Keith
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tasted the laphroaig 18 and would not hesitate in recommending it, if you liked the Laph 15 then go for it as i think the 18 is even better. I havent had the Smokehead 18, so cant comment on it.

Keith
Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your replys. Alastair i see your point about only being in duty free shops, i think you have all persuaded me to buy both, not that i took much persuading. I loved both the Laphroaig 15 and the the original Smokehead. To hell with it i am getting both of them, i had better order them now before i change my mind.

Charlie
Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the Smokehead extra rare and if if that is anything to go by the 18 extra black should be good.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: