www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Lidl - Page 2

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Lidl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Offers & Bargains
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife tried a couple of Lidl stores for me but had no luck finding the Glen alba 34

ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally enyoyed the couple of drams I tried, good sherried nose and taste
ant_in_wales
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T wrote:
My wife tried a couple of Lidl stores for me but had no luck finding the Glen alba 34

Bad luck James - there's still three here in Aberystwyth if you fancy a trip out!
Poor weather forecast for the weekend, but there's plenty of top (real ale) pubs and restaurants!
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen new releases in Lidl. Islay, Highland and Speyside £17.50. Grabbed a speyside today. It's ok and after one dram is already opening up. Banana chews, pear drops and some estery notes. Some spirit sulphur here but pretty sure aged in a bourbon cask given the caramel/ vanilla notes. A bit of pistachio ice cream too which I like. I'm holding off guessing a distillery (mainly as I haven't got a clue). But there's not too many worm tubs in speyside which should help narrow it down...
blackcipher
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these aged releases?
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No these are NAS releases. There are still aged whiskies available in Lidl but these are blends. In the next week or so I'll get the highland and islay and report back. The speyside is ok, I'd rate it around 80.

ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking why is my lidl reducing the glen alba 34 by so much and now I know! To make room for these new releases, the alba 34 has gone from my local and at that crazy price you can see why,
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the Highland version today. Very good and I'm almost certain it's a glenfarclas. If you like a sherried Christmas cake type dram then this is worth a go. Sure it's got e150 in it and no doubt it's been chill filtered. But it's £17.49! Good work Lidl! Again. I'd rate this higher than the speyside by 5 points, possibly 83/4.
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They haven't hit our shelves in Scotland so far as ov Friday so I hope they get here soon .
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They haven't hit our shelves in Scotland so far as ov Friday so I hope they get here soon .
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that should all be out by today for world whisky day.
opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWM wrote:
I've tried the Highland version today. Very good and I'm almost certain it's a glenfarclas. If you like a sherried Christmas cake type dram then this is worth a go. Sure it's got e150 in it and no doubt it's been chill filtered. But it's £17.49! Good work Lidl! Again. I'd rate this higher than the speyside by 5 points, possibly 83/4.

Glenfarclas is a Speysider mate. Not tried this (as you know) but if it's Xmas cake style'e then it's likely to be a Ben Nevis, Macallan, Dalmore or Glendronach. Not sure how much of that stiff ends up in own brand whiskies (I seem to remember Dalmore getting put about a bit and Ben Nevis goes into a lot of indie stuff too).

Could be some ex sherry Balblair as they do shift stock to quite a few indies, but they don't have much sherried stock and it's usually damn expensive.

TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opelfruit wrote:

Glenfarclas is a Speysider mate. Not tried this (as you know) but if it's Xmas cake style'e then it's likely to be a Ben Nevis, Macallan, Dalmore or Glendronach. Not sure how much of that stiff ends up in own brand whiskies (I seem to remember Dalmore getting put about a bit and Ben Nevis goes into a lot of indie stuff too).

Could be some ex sherry Balblair as they do shift stock to quite a few indies, but they don't have much sherried stock and it's usually damn expensive.

I did wonder whether it could be a sherried Balblair. I don't think it's a Glendronach or Macallan.

You want to tell Glenfarclas that they are a speyside malt given they label their bottles as highland single malt! I'm guessing if Glenfarclas can label theirs as highland then Lidl can do too?

Where's the SWA when you need them?
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opelfruit wrote:

I did wonder whether it could be a sherried Balblair. I don't think it's a Glendronach or Macallan.

You want to tell Glenfarclas that they are a speyside malt given they label their bottles as highland single malt! I'm guessing if Glenfarclas can label theirs as highland then Lidl can do too?

Where's the SWA when you need them?
opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

The SWA are at the beach with their head firmly buried in the sand!

It's an interesting one I guess. Technically farclas are in Speyside - it's located within the speyside region of the highlands. You could, realistically, label any Speyside as a highland, but the fact that Lidl are selling both a highland and a speyside makes me think that the highland would be a clear highlander (outside the speyside region), maybe a West Highlander style like a Ben Nevis. There is some sherried Clynlish out and about with the indies and it's pretty decent young so maybe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Offers & Bargains All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: