www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Cutty Sark Prohibition

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Cutty Sark Prohibition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newkophile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Cutty Sark Prohibition Reply with quote

In the spring edition of Whisky Advocate, this new Cutty Sark edition with the unusual name of "Prohibition" was reviewed and given 90 points. What's more is that its ABV is 50%, highly unusual for a blend, and get this, a list price of only $30 American! Problem so far is that I have yet to see it where I reside in southeast Florida, but have read somewhere on the net that it's at least available in the state of Rhode Island. Anyone else familiar with this bottle? If so, a reaction and your location would be appreciated.

William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cutty Sark Prohibition was produced for the US market but i believe it will be rolled out in other markets this year but i havent come across it yet this side of the water. It was released this year to mark Cutty Sarks 90th anniversary and 80 years since the repeal of prohibition in 1933.

Apparently there will also be two other versions, a Cutty Sark McCoy 23 Edition and Cutty Sark McCoy 1923 Edition, all bottled at 50% abv, these will be available in the US then later rolled out in other markets.

I have heard good reviews for the Cutty Sark Prohibition, got to be worth a try for the price, good luck sourcing a bottle.
Keith
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent seen the Cutty Sark Prohibition here either and there is no mention of it on the Cutty Sark website, it does sound interesting though. It certainly is rare to see any blend bottled above 43%.
Samson
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent seen te Cutty Sark Prohibition here.

I would say it is rare to see any blend above 40%, you see a few at 43% but very few much higher which really is a pity as i am sure there are a few blends which could be very good if offered at a higher abv.
Newkophile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the quote from Whisky Advocate regarding the the choice of Cutty Sark Prohibition as #7 among the 10 best bottles reviewed for its summer issue this year:

"#7: Cutty Sark Prohibition, 50%, $30

The Real McCoy! Itís said that during Prohibition Bill McCoy serviced the better speakeasies with proper Cutty Sark; hence the name. If this is a recreation of what they might have been drinking back then, you can see why they kept fighting over it. This is another bold, earthy, smoky blend with oily, industrial notes. Thereís crabapple, smoke, bitter lemon, grapefruit, and even black currant. It would seem blended whisky is where itís at right now! Great stuff.óDominic Roskrow

Advanced Whisky Advocate magazine rating: 90"

Would really like to see this bottle make an appearance down here.
Newkophile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tended to some family business in my native New York City this past month and took the opportunity to visit Park Avenue Liquor in midtown Manhattan. The store advertises that it carries 400+ single malts and blended Scotch, amazing considering the relatively tiny size of the establishment. Purchased two bottles of the CS Prohibition to take back with me and am nearly finished with one. It's a wonderful, obviously quite potent blend (50% ABV). The nose gives a strong hint of what's to come, it being quite peppery and sure enough, the palate is almost overwhelmed with spice as well as vanilla and oak notes. A tsp or two is advisable, but slow sipping is the way to go with this one. Am hopeful that this bottle will eventually be available where I live in southeast Florida.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: