www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - First Cask 1982

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
First Cask 1982

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark McB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: First Cask 1982 Reply with quote

Hi Folks

I was given this Whisky some time ago now and I thought I'd try and find out more about it. It has on the label - FIRST CASK 1982, Distilled 25th Feb 1982 - Cask No:278 - Bottle 63.
Botled using spirit from the Brora distillery.

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this as far as taste and value.

many thanks
Mark

John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.

I can tell you what i know about First Class:

First Cask is an Independent Bottler of whisky. The brand belongs to a Dutch importer called Whisky Import Nederlands you will find their site here:
http://www.whisky-import.nl/

The founders of First Cask are Jan Kok and Marcel Bol, they are both whisky lovers and Keepers of the Quaich. The origin of their business comes from a request by the famous whisky author Charles MacLean (who was in charge of the selection of the casks at Adelphi independent bottler) to import Adelphi bottles into Holland. They accepted his request.

Besides Adelphi, they also represent Berry Bros & Rudd, James MacArthur, The Clydesdale, The John Milroy Selection and Kilchoman.

Jan Kok and Marcel Bol decided to market some whisky directly selected by themselves, they named the collection First Cask.

First Cask bottlings are specially selected single cask, cask strength whisky which best represent the distillery and cask type from which it came. All their First Cask bottlings should be something special and reasonably priced.

The bottle you have is from the Brora distillery which closed in 1983 which makes the bottling you have more collectable but i cant really give you anymore info than what you have on the bottle. I wasnt actually aware that First Class had a Brora bottling. You dont say what date it was bottled.

Sorry that doesnt really answer your question about taste and value of the bottle you have. It may be worth while contacting "Whisky Import Nederlands" via their website:

I find most independent bottlers very helpful when you approach them.

John
Big Mac
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

Interesting reading, i have seen a couple of First Cask bottles available but didnt know much about them until now. I didnt know they had a bottle of Brora either.

Mark, i havent had the bottle you have but in general as far as taste goes Brora tends to be a heavily peated malt.

In fact to quote the Brora info page on this site http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/brora.htm "It is said that the Brora distillery produced the most peaty malt in the Highlands Whisky region. The nickname for Brora Malt Whisky was "The Lagavulin of the North"."

Mac
Fergie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark

You only give the year the whisky was distilled, the label on the bottle you have should have the age of the whisky or the date the whisky was bottled. it may also tell you which type of cask the whisky was matured in i.e. a bourbon cask or a sherry cask. The type of cask and age of the whisky as well as the ABV of the whisky can effect the price, if you have this info we maybe be able to help you more.

Fergie
Gricehead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.

I can tell you what i know about First Class:

First Cask is an Independent Bottler of whisky. The brand belongs to a Dutch importer called Whisky Import Nederlands you will find their site here:

The founders of First Cask are Jan Kok and Marcel Bol, they are both whisky lovers and Keepers of the Quaich. The origin of their business comes from a request by the famous whisky author Charles MacLean (who was in charge of the selection of the casks at Adelphi independent bottler) to import Adelphi bottles into Holland. They accepted his request.

Besides Adelphi, they also represent Berry Bros & Rudd, James MacArthur, The Clydesdale, The John Milroy Selection and Kilchoman.

Jan Kok and Marcel Bol decided to market some whisky directly selected by themselves, they named the collection First Cask.

First Cask bottlings are specially selected single cask, cask strength whisky which best represent the distillery and cask type from which it came. All their First Cask bottlings should be something special and reasonably priced.

The bottle you have is from the Brora distillery which closed in 1983 which makes the bottling you have more collectable but i cant really give you anymore info than what you have on the bottle. I wasnt actually aware that First Class had a Brora bottling. You dont say what date it was bottled.

Sorry that doesnt really answer your question about taste and value of the bottle you have. It may be worth while contacting "Whisky Import Nederlands" via their website:

I find most independent bottlers very helpful when you approach them.

John

Just found this topic via a Google search, and if the Original Poster is still reading, I'll correct the above.

The Brora you have is not from the new "First Cask" bottlers described above.

The "First Cask Malt Circle" was (or maybe still is) a membership Whisky club run by Laithwaites Wine / Direct Wines. A single cask was bottled each quarter and distributed to members. The 1982 Brora was a Jan 2003 bottling, and arrived in April 2003.

Accompanying tasting notes are:

"This 21 year-old single cask whisky, produced from spirit originally distilled at the Brora distillery, has a light amber colour and is deliciously smooth and rounded to taste. Impressively full and peaty for a Highland malt, it has flavours of molasses, heather and spice, in a smooth-bodied, lively malt with a thoroughly warming finish"

Given the rise of the above mentioned First Cask, I have no idea if the First Cask Malt Circle is still running.

Hope this is of some use.

Colin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: