www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Tesco Highland Malt Wins Best 12 Year Old

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Tesco Highland Malt Wins Best 12 Year Old

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Tesco Highland Malt Wins Best 12 Year Old Reply with quote

I see the Tesco 12 year old Highland malt has won the gold best in class award in the single highland malt 12 year category at the 2008 International Wine & Spirit Competition.

See IWSC site for details.

Anyone know what is in the bottle, interestingly the IWSC website lists the producer as Whyte & Mackay. I had read in the past that it was Old Pulteney 12 that was in the Tesco bottle. Coincidentally Old Pulteney 12 picked up a Gold in the same category this year.

Frank

Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, I had heard before that it was Old Pulteney in the Tesco Highland malt bottle, i guess it cant be unless Inver House Distillers was taken over by Whyte & Mackay.

I noticed on the IWSC site the winner of Gold (Best in Class) Islay Pure Malt 10 year old was Sainsbury's Islay Malt 10 year old which is on offer at the moment for £13.99, i think i will be picking up a bottle of this to try.

Gordon
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank AFAIK Whtye & Mackays owns 2 malt whisky brands; Isle of Jura and The Dalmore, therefore if you consider Jura as a Island malt then there is a good chance it is Dalmore in the Tesco highland malt bottle.

Andy M
Big Mac
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what you do for a living Andy but have you ever thought of becoming a detective, lol.

I would also guess it is most likely to be Dalmore if Whyte & Mackay produced it.

Mac
John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon i have had the Sainsburys islay pure malt and can recommend it, in fact both Tesco and Sainsburys Highland and Islay malts are very good value for money and are all worth a try a least once.

John
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a bottle of Tescos Highland malt on Friday and have been very pleasantly surprised. A lovely fruity/orangey malt ( mmm is it Dalmore as mentioned above, i think it could be or a very close relative). Definitely worth a try if you like the Dalmore style of malt and at half the price of a Dalmore.

Frank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: